Burglar Alarm wiring exension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
So I brought a house with an alarm (Installed 1997) that I have resurrected and it works ok. (5 PIRs and one reed switch door sensor, 1 key pad). All very straight forward so far after a learning curve and I will book an engineer to come and service annually.

However I would like to add some extra sensors at the back of the house (3 extra doors and 3 extra windows, i can tap into the existing 1 door reed switch, it's a long house and they doors and windows are all in a line). I can put cabling in the eaves ok, but my question is to what number of core cable should I use? I have a Karizma ID system (Shock horror) so I actually only need 2 cores, but I would like to future proof it so when I have a new wired system there is plenty of cabling in place already and its easy to upgrade. (when I have re-tiled the Ensuite I wont have access to the eaves "forever").

Other questions, what is a good quality cable? The stuff from Screwfix? or where from? And do I need a EOL resistor? Any advice on how to find out what EOL stuff I need for the last sensor?

Thanks all
(I'm a DYI'er, not a pro alarm installer... but I am a BEng engineer)

Sponsored Links
Take all cables separate back to control panel ..6 /8 core to be on safe side ... you won’t be able to buy ID chips anymore so you may be struggling with that alarm

Thanks for your advice. I wont be taking cables back to the panel, it's too much disruption for now as it cuts right through the house, so I'll be connecting into the one 6 core that services the one door reed switch, so it'll be one large wired leg with 6 door/window sensors. When we have an extension in 5 or so years I'll renew the alarm with something new and re-use the wiring, hence I want to put the necessary cables in place now.
I have seen some biscuits for sale online, I'll purchase them first before I modify. The biscuits don't need to be sequential which helps.

Sponsored Links
yeah you're probably right, I suppose I'm still thinking Karzima ID install which is a bit out of date. A separate cable run to each sensor would be future proof. 6 or 8 core as you said.

Or to a common point where you could add an expander depending on your future upgrade

So I had to Google 'Expander'. (Novice!)
If I understand correctly, I can hard wire separate cables from each sensor to the expander and then use the existing cable that's already installed to connect the expander to the control panel? That would be a brilliant solution. Can you get expanders for such instances that do not require an external power source?
Thanks for the advice so far.

Normally you require a 4 core ( depending on control panel ) you would only need a powered expander on a long cable run or if you had high current loads
Door contacts are not ...you won’t get one for your control panel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back