Just out of interest

2scoops0406

Obviously as trained pro's sparks should never get shocks. I'm interested to know however, how many, or how often your "collegues" get a shock?

Sponsored Links
about one a month on average, usualy when i open the electric bill

Eddie M said:
Obviously as trained pro's sparks should never get shocks. I'm interested to know however, how many, or how often your "collegues" get a shock?

With respect..rubbish. Unless a spark only ever works on new installs that are never energised when they are on site, it is unlikely that they will never get a shock.

I have had shocks, not because of any specific reason, but there have been times when it was necessary to work on something whilst live, sometimes for really silly reasons and on a couple of occasions because I failed to put in place my own advice and check a circuit when a colleague stated they had turned it off!!

I think a shock is sometimes a good thing..teaches you to respect the stuff and ensure that you only work on live circuits as an absolute last resort...it prevents you becoming complacent..which we can all do regardless of our job...

Sponsored Links
I've had one 'proper' shock in ten years in the trade. (I was an inexperienced apprentice at the time)

As for tingles, maybe one a year.

Insulated tools, and getting into the habit of proper testing and isolation is going to keep you safe 99 times out of 100, but there will still be that one wire somewhere which gets you

the question, was a bit tongue in cheek 'cos the phrase "if you play with fire" comes to mind. The reason I asked is that I don't mind doing simple electrical work and I mean simple, but I am really phobic about electric shocks. I really just wondered how many times or how often professional electricians get a shock. I seem to remember simon (securespark) saying that receiving an electrical shock whilst working for his outfit was a disciplinary offence :?:

Eddie M said:
I seem to remember simon (securespark) saying that receiving an electrical shock whilst working for his outfit was a disciplinary offence :?:

Punishable usually by a blast of 240v or whatever through your body

Eddie M said:
I seem to remember simon (securespark) saying that receiving an electrical shock whilst working for his outfit was a disciplinary offence :?:

Some companies it is.

its becuse you were not following the "guide lines" of isolating the supply before working on something.

Obviously there are situations where you have to work live, such people are the rec, who i have watched join a supply onto a main incomer whilst sitting down in a hole in the road doing it. Not for me,

Then there are the blokes who go on the overhead lines, first time i saw that i couldn't believe it.
Friend had said she often sees them go "whizzing by" (view from her kitchen window) one day i was round there and she called to come and look, sure enough a bloke was whizzing along the overhead cables in a little basket.

since seen it on tv, they get on via helicopter

I have also been in a place where they test "probes" for insulation resistance, think it was 30kv

They connect one end to the overhead bus bar, put the probe (handle downwards) in a tube of water. the metal tube is also connected.

its spectacular when one fails (so i was told) as all the ones i watched passed

Slugbabydotcom said:
Eddie M said:

Punishable usually by a blast of 240v or whatever through your body

[pedant]230v RMS :?: [/pedant]

But don't be misled.

All the people who you ask will tell you that they have had lots of shocks, they were unpleasant but "never did me any lasting harm".

Survivor bias means that all the people who had a bad one won't be around to tell you.

JohnD said:
But don't be misled.

All the people who you ask will tell you that they have had lots of shocks, they were unpleasant but "never did me any lasting harm".

Survivor bias means that all the people who had a bad one won't be around to tell you.

Fortunately the older I get, the more wary I become

I suppose, like pilots, there are Old Electricians and there are Bold Electricians, but there are no Old, Bold Electricians ;)

did you know, some people who die of a heart attack it was later proven they had an electric shock within the last 24 hours

JohnD said:
I suppose, like pilots, there are Old Electricians and there are Bold Electricians, but there are no Old, Bold Electricians ;)

Bet there are plenty of old,BALD electricians though ;)

I am bald by choice.

me, Telly Savalas, Yule Brynner, spot the difference. (other than they are dead)

Sponsored Links
Back