Just uncovered this after removing tiles in kitchen...

Sponsored Links
Wow what a lot of ill informed people all guessing at what's best to do on that other forum :eek:

I was chopping a hole in a wall in the kitchen to take a new socket, and I found some buried conduit.

"Hmm," I thought, "wonder where that goes?" so I started working upwards to expose it.

And lo - I then found this, so started digging out sideways too:

Oh that's nice:

Let's have a look at this lovely junction box they buried - it appears to be made of the finest polythene:

The cable was disconnected at both ends when I found it, and as dead as a dodo, but obviously this was not always the case:

Sponsored Links
As long as I know its not a complete bodge job, just perhaps not the best way it couldve been done... Ive since learnt about getting cheapo builders in to do stuff...!
Not only is it a cheap bodge it is also a very dangerous bodge.

In moisture gets between the tiles and that taped up joint gets damp then :-

If there is an RCD protecting the circuit it will trip and not be resetable until the moisture has dried out.

If there is no RCD then there is the hazard of electric shock from the damp grout and maybe the damp tile surface

Your OCD won't take too kindly to a bit of defibrillation to get your heart going again if you leave this unrectified. Your safest option is, as others have advised, to reinstall a socket and have a functional outlet, or blank it off completely with a proper blanking plate and back box, and, if your OCD compels you to make it symmetrical, put another one on the other side! :D

Would this not be an option...

Move the cabling down 8" so its beneath the worktop, but have full access to it through the back of one of the units. Have it im a surface mounted case with blanking plate, or sealed box.

So in essence, Im doing what is suggested, just a bit lower down, but still providing full access to it, and its safe in appropriate casing...

Anyone know any ball park figures as to how much this would cost if I was to get a sparky in and get in certified?

Yes, that would be acceptable. As long as the box is accessible for testing, inspection and maintenance.

I was chopping a hole in a wall in the kitchen to take a new socket, and ....
I could help but wonder .... If this chopping was done more recently than 2004, then .... When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1?
:)

Kind Regards, John.

Do you need BR approval just for chopping out these days? :eek:
Who knows ...but a new socket in a kitchen is different matter. Mind you, maybe he was doing preparatory work under the instruction and supervision of his electrician.

Kind Regards, John.

I could help but wonder .... If this chopping was done more recently than 2004, then .... When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1?
:)
I didn't apply.

But if I had I'd have said that I would comply by working to BS 7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back