Karcher HDS 601C Pressure washer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just bought one of the above second hand but guaranteed, it appears to have two problems. It works fine with hot water but the temperature control will not advance above 90C, just comes to a stop. And if you are trying to run it flat out the exhaust becomes very smokey. Sorry, I meant steam cleaner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Peter.

Sponsored Links
I don't have much experience with these machines Peter but maybe the two faults are connected?
The hot water heater uses a burner remarkably similar to an oil fired central heating plant (albeit with instant ignition ) with sparking electrodes, Danfoss nozzle and fuel pump.
I think Id check the oil pump pressure first as it maybe a little low, and likewise fuel and incoming water filters. I'm also wondering if they are meant to provide boiling, or just very hot water?
If it's under warranty though, you'd maybe prefer to take it back?
John :)

Hi John

Now why did I think you would be the only one who would know about it.:sneaky: Thanks for the reply anyway. Yes it is under guarantee but he has to take it there and its some distance.

The model number is listed as a steam cleaner and is according to the on line info. It feels as though there is a stop on the temperature control at 90C, for steam it goes up to 150C - but it doesn't if you follow. The boiler is of the instant type with a large coil. I haven't looked into it yet but just wondered if anyone had experience with them before I start messing with it.

I have just repaired the gearbox on aforementioned son's 4wd ranger which I was quite pleased about at 79 but I have done many 30 years or so ago but never a steam cleaner - but there is always a first time.

Peter

Sponsored Links
An interesting concept!
I know these machines only have one heating coil so maybe there's a way of switching the burner onto a higher output....some boilers have a two stage output. The excess smoke doesn't sound right to me so perhaps the burner is passing an excess of fuel without the pressure increase.
Guessing as usual but maybe worth getting stuck in!
John :)

Yes, thanks John. I noticed when he demonstrated it that it was smoking on high temperature with a smell to match but not knowing anything about them I couldn't say much. The chap where we got it has an industrial unit and sells quite a few so I thought he would be an expert although his main business is water pumps.

I was more interested in a skip in the enclosed compound opposite him which had 2 tool type drawer units dumped in it.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back