Karcher k4 high pressure hose connection woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In-laws dropped off his pressure washer which keeps blowing the high pressure lance connection where it leaves the main body .
Held by a C clip which does not hold in use , tried new clips but same problem .? Only had 5-6 uses so unlikely to be worn .

Sponsored Links
Either the hose isn’t fully pushed into its socket (easily done, needs a firm click) or the plastic bracket that helps to hold the clip has a piece broken off, I imagine.
Never did like these quick release fittings!
John :)

No quick release system involved, lance hose pushes in easily,[brass] no click involved as C clip slides in to lock joint[Initial connection seems very secure, cannot pull out by hand].Bracket undamaged, holds briefly but turning lance off and on is enough to break connection.

The type Ive come across are using an ‘R’ clip (or more accurately a double R) so for the hose to disconnect the water pressure must be forcing the legs of the R clip apart.....almost impossible if the holding bracket is unbroken.
So - if memory serves- the R clip pushes through two holes, slides through the groove on the hose, and then locates in another two holes behind?
Something worn or cracked there, I’d guess.

Sponsored Links
Need a pic of that one.....can’t say I’m familiar with that design. Thought it was a brass stem with an O ring that pushed into the hose reel drum somewhere.
Mind you there are hundreds of Karchers, and no two are alike.

Need a pic of that one.....can’t say I’m familiar with that design. Thought it was a brass stem with an O ring that pushed into the hose reel drum somewhere.
Mind you there are hundreds of Karchers, and no two are alike.
No hose reel , pushes into the high pressure outlet .

Last edited:
Yep, that’s really a double R clip - of a fashion!
If its disconnecting, either the open end is springing open too much or the slide is allowing the clip to spread - much the same really.
Any realistic chance of tying the open legs tighter with some thin, tough wire or whatever?

Think it’s sorted , run water thru machine with power and Lance off, ad Lance and run more water then turn on power and all good , air locked.

Last edited:
That is the correct technique when dealing with the cheaper models - allow water to bleed through before switching on. I guess that prevents a high pressure air shock otherwise.
Clearly not the best design!

Well clip failed again, metal is too feeble so wrapped a length of copper wire I stripped off cable around the open end of the clip and held so far.Awfull design and from searches I made has been a problem for over 10 years .

I do recall having seen this one before, but it was a very cheap machine (£45 I think) so I didn't go any further with it and returned it to its owner.
Your method should be just fine, and its best to leave the lance hose connected anyway.

Have pestered Karcher and they have agreed to collect and repair foc, will be interesting to see what they do.

In-laws dropped off his pressure washer which keeps blowing the high pressure lance connection where it leaves the main body .
Held by a C clip which does not hold in use , tried new clips but same problem .? Only had 5-6 uses so unlikely to be worn .
Hi I have the Same problem with my K5 tTy this it seem to have worked for me firstly I put the C clip in the vice and squeezed it to make a tighter fit then I put a cable tie on the end to keep the pressure on the clip I put the clip on from the back for better access

Attachments

• 86110DDC-0B69-4B32-8495-4EC615D2050C.jpeg
    86110DDC-0B69-4B32-8495-4EC615D2050C.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 665
Have pestered Karcher and they have agreed to collect and repair foc, will be interesting to see what they do.
How did it go then? I’ve had both of my pressure washers repaired by Karcher and they do give a good service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back