Keeping cable in chases

Sponsored Links
Can't get the cable clips into the bricks and they just fall out of mortar. Builders band looks to be the right sort of thing as long as it doesn't damage the plasterers trowel.
I seem to recall people using the sheathing off T+E strapped across and a galv clout nail each side

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Bodged it up last night with some sheathing off some unused T&E I had so good to see someone else mentioning that (I was stuck at work too late yesterday to go and buy anything). The plastering is being done now and I haven't had a message to say there is a problem so fingers crossed.

The chases were quite narrow for most of the lengths so I would have had to widen them to fit capping or conduit in, most were only just wider than the cable. When I had them done I had no idea they should have been in conduit or I would have asked for it to be done. I'm currently viewing it as a problem for someone else to have in 30 years.

Sponsored Links
The chases were quite narrow for most of the lengths so I would have had to widen them to fit capping or conduit in, most were only just wider than the cable.
Then surely it would have been quite easy to jam something in to hold the cable.
A bit narrower still and the cable would be tight on it's own.

When I had them done I had no idea they should have been in conduit or I would have asked for it to be done.
It's not a question of should have been. It doesn't matter.

I'm currently viewing it as a problem for someone else to have in 30 years.
So - not a problem, then.

Not that he mentioned to me. He was here for just under 2 days and filled the chases on day 1 before skimming over the top on day 2.

He left his tools overnight and I had a look at his trowel, the edges were so polished there didn't look to be any danger of cutting a cable. It was so smooth it felt like it wouldn't have cut butter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back