Electrician. Chased Walls and Installed Sockets But Wires Are Not Capped. Is this Correct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there,

I recently hired an electrician on my mum’s behalf to install additional electrical sockets in two rooms in her house.

The electrician chased the cables only, as both rooms would be decorated by myself (to keep costs to a minimum). If the work was beyond me (I've 'only' filled in holes, small cracks, etc) I would hire a plasterer.

After watching more than a few YouTube videos on how to approach this task, I couldn't help but notice that all the professionals & accomplished DIY'rs presented wires that were encapsulated in a plastic oval shaped or metal tube.

The electrician I hired, placed screws at various points along the chase to prevent the wire moving or falling out.

Is it necessary to cap the wires before filling in the chase? If so, who would be responsible (plasterer or electrician) for capping the wires.
It appears nonsensical for a plasterer to cap the wires, when the electrician could've done this task during the installation.

Attachments

• 20220904_222312.jpg
    20220904_222312.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 180
  • 20220904_222319.jpg
    20220904_222319.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Photo14.jpg
    Photo14.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
Capping is optional.
Oval conduit is optional.
If such things are wanted, the electrician would install them.

Cables in 'photo2' are not in the correct zone.

Capping is optional.
Oval conduit is optional.
If such things are wanted, the electrician would install them.

Cables in 'photo2' are not in the correct zone.
That makes sense.

With respect to 'photo2', this socket was not part of the install. My mum bought the house in '85. The house is definitely in need of a rewire/ inspection.

I was asked by the electrician if I wanted it moved up. My response was, "if you have time", which was clearly the wrong response from me, being unaware of the wider impact.

In this instance, should the electrician have advised that the socket be relocated to ensure that it was in the correct zone? Is this not 'up to code' or something similar?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Last edited:
The socket shows where the cables likely run, so this 1663004922575.png is OK until the corner, I would assume this 1663004992141.png it a continuation, so from corner to socket technically incorrect, I actually got a belt myself due to cables going around a corner, I had assumed they went up the wall into ceiling space then down again, but would not expect you to hit cables anyway.

Again technically the electrician has done nothing wrong as the cables are visible, it would be whoever covers them up who is braking the rules. Although clearly he did know they would be covered.

Sponsored Links
I think you could cut into the wall above the socket in photo two and fit a back box with a blank plate one it. That would be a visible sign that the cables are running at a different level. Not ideal but I think it would create a safe zone and you would not need to touch the cables.
A better idea would be to get the electrician back and get the socket moved up.

In this instance, should the electrician have advised that the socket be relocated to ensure that it was in the correct zone? Is this not 'up to code' or something similar?
It seems odd. Unless there is some very good reason why that 'right-hand' socket is as low as it is, all that would have needed to be done to bring the cable 'into zone' would be to have installed the socket a few inches higher, so that the cable came out of the side of it.

Kind Regards, John

It seems odd. Unless there is some very good reason why that 'right-hand' socket is as low as it is, all that would have needed to be done to bring the cable 'into zone' would be to have installed the socket a few inches higher, so that the cable came out of the side of it.

Kind Regards, John
Your guess is as good as mine and the reason is lost in time.

That 'odd socket' is located behind a chair in a soon to be occupied room. I only noticed that it was low after the chasing was done.

Another glaringly odd installation can be found in the main bedroom. Originally, it had two single sockets, where my mum only used one socket with an unsightly extension lead. The other socket was hidden and unused behind a double wardrobe! Both of these sockets were installed into the skirting board. which come to think of it, I don't believe I have ever come across (see photo).

I'm sure there are other 'hidden gems', which will soon be revealed to me in the coming months...

Attachments

• Socket_1.jpg
    Socket_1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 73
I think you could cut into the wall above the socket in photo two and fit a back box with a blank plate one it. That would be a visible sign that the cables are running at a different level. Not ideal but I think it would create a safe zone and you would not need to touch the cables.
Thanks for the suggestion on installing a blank plate in the interim. 'Safe zone' has also been added to my vocabulary.

I don't think so. We've discussed this several times before and I think it has been generally agreed that a cable has to enter and be 'terminated' within an accessory/whatever in order for the accessory (or 'blank plate'/whatever) to create a 'safe zone' - the explanation being that someone could otherwise theoretically remove the accessory/whatever which had been creating the 'safe zone', leaving a buried cable which was no longer in a 'safe zone'. The wording of the regs seems consistent with that view ....
522.6.202 ...... Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear

In view of the above, I think that would really be the only (sensible) solution that would make it reg-compliant.
Thanks for the suggestion on installing a blank plate in the interim.
See above.
'Safe zone' has also been added to my vocabulary.
I personally don't like the term - because to someone who has a drill, chisel or hammer/nails in their hands, it's definitely a 'dangerous zone', not a 'safe' one :)

Kind Regards, John

Just move the socket in photo2 up to match the other one.

Just move the socket in photo2 up to match the other one.
Quite so ...
... Unless there is some very good reason why that 'right-hand' socket is as low as it is, all that would have needed to be done to bring the cable 'into zone' would be to have installed the socket a few inches higher, so that the cable came out of the side of it.

Kind Regards, John

Or, of course, chased the cable that few inches lower.
True ,but that would arguably involve a fair bit more work. I suppose the 'change of heights' (of the chases on the two walls) would then have to happen within 150mm of the corner between the walls?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back