sockets moved - how to fill holes

Sponsored Links
Well John, crimped joints inside an enclosure is not against the regs, only your personal preferences. But if it isn't a metal box then it can't be considered an enclosure anyway, so the point is academic.

I wonder it the situation could be rescued with some retermination and a lot of heatshrink? Obviouly cable replacement would be best.

Does this mean that the work it not safe?
Yes and non-compliant
He left a certificate for the work that was done.
What type of certificate and out of interest does this circuit have RCD protection?
If I can get him back what do i need to tell him needs sorting? - bearing in mind I don't really know anything about this type of work.

This for starters

Socket one. None sheathed cables out side of an enclosure.

Socket two. Not sure, but cables look to head out of a safe zone.

Socket three. Two wires into the same side of a crimp. Crimp wrong size for 1.0mm² / 1.5mm² wires. Exposed conductive part (back box) not earthed.

Well John, crimped joints inside an enclosure is not against the regs, only your personal preferences. But if it isn't a metal box then it can't be considered an enclosure anyway, so the point is academic.

Are you saying you can't have a plastic enclosure?
If using a metal enclosure with unsheathed cables then it needs to be earthed, the one in the pic doesn't appear to me to be.

Sponsored Links
I don't even think that inaccessible crimped joints not in an enclosure are necessarily against the regs.

Anyway, as you realise, I wasn't really talking about regs. Would you be happy to have crimped joints made by the perpetrator of that work not only seriously inaccessible, but with the skirting made good so well that no-one would even have a reason to suspect that anything electrical (other than cables) was going on behind it?
I wonder it the situation could be rescued with some retermination and a lot of heatshrink? Obviouly cable replacement would be best.
I don't think it would take too much to 'rescue' the situation - at least to an extent I would personally be happy with. Whether I would necessarily trust the person who did the original work to do the 'rescuing' is a rather different matter!

Kind Regards, John

I wasn't saying it has to be metal, only that I had expected a metal box (they didn't make plastic boxes when they make skirting like that) and that the OP says there isn't a box there.

The certificate is an NICEIC domestic electrical installation certificate.

Looking at it again now it just seems to cover a new consumer until that was fitted.

Pretty gutted about this. He's already been paid.

The certificate is an NICEIC domestic electrical installation certificate. Looking at it again now it just seems to cover a new consumer until that was fitted.
In view of what we've seen, that might be a little worrying - any chance of a picture of the new consumer unit and its surroundings?

Kind Regards, John

The certificate is an NICEIC domestic electrical installation certificate.

Looking at it again now it just seems to cover a new consumer until that was fitted.

Pretty gutted about this. He's already been paid.

Get the electrician back to resolve this!
If they have issued an EIC with schedules of inspections, they have likely lied on it!
Which their scheme provider will not be over happy about!

Will go and take a picture now...

A bit of background to the house. We had a survey done when moved in. One of the areas flagged was the electrics needed looking at as the consumer until was very old.

We had two electricians come round to have a look. Both confirmed we needed a new consumer unit as we had three old units (one for one socket in the kitchen, one for the rest of the house and one that was stillive for the heaters in the house - heaters were removed years ago). They also said that we didn't need a total rewire.

After going with one of the quotes the electrician found loads of dodgy work around the house which he fixed - Bathroom light was attached to the shower, telephone line was running through the alarm cable, outside light was exposed and light.

He fixed all these things so i was happy we were getting things fixed and i didn't have to worry.

Crimping is fine, but what I would have done is used heat shrink over the lot, so that the hole in the skiring can be filled. Crimps on their own like that would need some form of enclosure, I wouldn't want to bury crimped joints unless I've used some thick heatshrink.

So, it's not necessarily bad or dangerous, just not really what any of us here would have done. But there are always problems that people can face with modifications to an old installation and it's easy to pick holes in work that isn't your own.

Picture with CU visor down showing MCBs, are the spares blanked or exposed?
Has the unit one RCD or two, difficult to tell as the pictures are shaded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back