sockets moved - how to fill holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just had some electric work down in a new house we've moved into. Plug sockets have been moved - from skirting to wall or just higher up the wall. One plug socket wasn't wanted so I asked the electrician to remove that one.

The work has been done but i'm unsure how to fill to hole because of the wiring. Could anybody advise on what would be the best way to go about this?

Rooms will be plastered/skimmed in the future so is this something a plasterer could sort? That would still leave me the holes in the skirting though.

I have included three images which show the various holes.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
The first thing you need to do before you start filling holes is to get the electrician back and get him to sort out the non-compliant mess he's made of your wiring.

That was my first thought, but if the wires are going down into the floor, I'm not sure it is non-compliant - or what have I missed?

EDIT: Oh yes, the socket which has been removed, but the wiring left.

The hole in the skirting could be covered by carefully sinking in a piece of thin wood, sanding it, and repainting.

That was my first thought, but if the wires are going down into the floor, I'm not sure it is non-compliant - or what have I missed?

EDIT: Oh yes, the socket which has been removed, but the wiring left.

The hole in the skirting could be covered by carefully sinking in a piece of thin wood, sanding it, and repainting.

What about the sheath of the jointed cable in skirting?
Also second pic, cables seem to heading outside safe zones.
It's a firkin mess!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies.

To confirm, the wiring does go down into the floor.

Does this mean that i can't fill the hole where the socket has been removed? Are the other two types compliant - Can they be filled?

Socket one. None sheathed cables out side of an enclosure.

Socket two. Not sure, but cables look to head out of a safe zone.

Socket three. Two wires into the same side of a crimp. Crimp wrong size for 1.0mm² / 1.5mm² wires. Exposed conductive part (back box) not earthed.

Do the wires go down into the floor directly underneath the sockets? If so they're OK.

The other one you should fit a blanking socket, or have the cables moved under the floor.

Thanks for the quick replies.

To confirm, the wiring does go down into the floor.

Does this mean that i can't fill the hole where the socket has been removed? Are the other two types compliant - Can they be filled?

Cannot fill the third pictured socket, the cable should have been completely removed, unless this cable is dead and there is no possible way that it can be made live again, if not a double gang blank plate is required.

Oh yeah. See what you mean about the non-sheathed. It's a bit weird though because it actually is inside an enclosure.

Is that not a metal back box which held the original socket? If not - what was it?

oh dear, this does sound good!

The old in the skirting doesn't contain a metal back box.

IMO, there is inaccessible and inaccessible. Having to lift floor coverings and floorboards to get at crimped joints is (IMO) bad enough but if the repair to the skirting you suggest was executed experly enough, it would be completely invisible and would leave future observers with no reason even to suspect that there were crimped joints hidden behind that. As most people here know, I'm nervous enough about inaccessible crimped joints at the best of times - but, given the standard of work exhibited by whoever was responsible for the work pictured, I would put no money at all on how competently the crimped joints had been made!

Kind Regards, John

Does this mean that the work it not safe? He left a certificate for the work that was done.

If I can get him back what do i need to tell him needs sorting? - bearing in mind I don't really know anything about this type of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back