Filling deep holes round electrical sockets

Genetlemen (ladies ??) many thanks for all your help brilliant, very grateful. I must however stick up for my electrician, he has been brilliant, the horrendous mess was left after a previous owner of our house; his priorities were making it safe, as it was lethal in fact the worst he'd seen in 40 years and he charged me next to nothing. Once again thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well, if you say so, but I can't help thinking it would have been so much better if he'd tackled the oversized holes when installing back-boxes, not leaving them for later.

He does say so, and was happy with the electrician, maybe the spark does not "do" plastering, plenty don't

If he's anything like the pro who updated my CU and added some new circuits a few years ago, you're better off filling the holes yourself.

Sponsored Links
As is often the case, the charge here of "pedantry" is being made by someone seeking to divert attention from his own laxity.

I've recently discovered thistle one coat plaster (get it from Wickes in 12.5Kg bags) and I find it perfect for filling round back boxes. It's bonding and plaster in one, and if it's past it's use by date, it just goes off a lot quicker, so you just work with smaller amounts.

I've got some holes/chases to fill of my own (in plaster on brick, 1930s house). I've never done this before, and my research (on here and other places) seems to suggest bonding plaster to fill the big holes, then finishing plaster for the last few mm.

Thistle one coat sounds easier, but would it do the job just as well? Another advantage is that it seems to come in smaller bags (and from what Doggit says, is more forgiving if it does go off), which would be handy. How long do bonding and finishing plaster last before they go off?

Really want to make a good job of these, so appreciate any tips, and would have been starting my own thread if this one hadn't have come along.

I did consider that, but decided on this one as:

1) It's the same subject
2) As it's plastering specifically related to electrics, it seemed appropriate here.

Plaster is plaster.

Holes are holes.

Filling them is filling them.

The OP asked here because he did have an electrical concern, but you seem to have a generic plastering one, and would be better served by plastering experts.

Plaster is plaster.

Holes are holes.

Filling them is filling them.

The OP asked here because he did have an electrical concern, but you seem to have a generic plastering one, and would be better served by plastering experts.

Good point, thanks. Will do!

A bag of bonding and a bag of plaster will cost about the same as a bag of one coat, and they'd be four times as big, but you'd end up wasting most of it. The one coat will fill happily a deep hole, and whilst the finish will never be as good as multi finish, when you're filling back boxes, most times the finish is going to get covered over. Whilst bonding will last once opened, multi doesn't tend to, but the one coat does, so give it a go JG, and see how you get on.

Thanks Doggit, really appreciate the reply - I'll give this a go, and report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back