Plaster round sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have had new sockets put into my kitchen the holes behind the sockets were dug out by a previous owner in brick and are huge so I have sockets and their cables hanging in large holes I need to fill these what is the best thing to use ? I'm tiling over the walls but these holes are too big to tile I would obviously turn off all power but do I use plaster or concrete any advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
bonding/plaster or some use car body repair filler as it sets really quick and is easy to sand.

*though as mentioned later the car filler is expensive*

Last edited:
Expanding foam would do the job. Or Hardwall, but it's not the most fun job ever......

Sponsored Links
I don't think so. If you'd misunderstood the question you'd have said whipped cream or something.

I have recommended car body filler in the past, but only for small areas as it is quick and easy and you can mix tiny amounts.
If you have a nick showing when you fit the switch or socket it is ideal.

I have not recommend it for 'plastering' walls or filling downlight holes.

And in the true tradition of there being no single right answer.....

I generally favor drywall / dot'n' dab adhesive if the box is loose and needs setting into position, if its just a deep hole then cement, or bonding coat (but dont use bonding if there is any possibility of damp)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back