Keeping cable in chases

Sponsored Links
I'm getting a room plastered on Tuesday so have unscrewed the faceplates for the sockets and light switch in that room and covered in plastic bags.

You are creating a plasterers nightmare, the accessories must be completely removed and the wiring tucked inside the boxes, and then covered in old newspaper or similar. This allows the plasterer to achieve a perfect finish. Faced with accessories hanging off the wall most plasterers would walk away. If you are concerned with boxes being completely covered by plaster, make a note of their measured locations.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
I'm getting a room plastered on Tuesday so have unscrewed the faceplates for the sockets and light switch in that room and covered in plastic bags.

I noticed that if you move the faceplate slightly the cable in the chases moves a little. Should I be securing them with anything to stop them causing a problem for the plasterer?

How is he or she plastering the room, dot and dab or wet plastering? If its dot and dab, then no need to do anything. Wet plastering, fix with cable clips or capping or dabs of plaster.

As has been already stated, remove the accessories, make the wiring safe and tuck into the back boxes so it's not protruding.

• Thanks
Cable clips! It is one of the jobs they're designed for :whistle:
Indeed. It may not be totally clear that what I wrote was in the past tense - explaining my experiences when (a good long while ago), I tried the 'blob of plaster technique, because someone had suggested it to me. Since I experienced the problem I described, I rapidly reverted to just using cable clips, which is what I continue to do.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
If you've got lots of cables and rubbish mortar between bricks, you can use builders band at suitable intervals (use the coated rather than bare galvanised) either nailed or plugged and screwed

• Thanks
Can't get the cable clips into the bricks and they just fall out of mortar. Builders band looks to be the right sort of thing as long as it doesn't damage the plasterers trowel.

In terms of accessories off the wall I've only seen them pulled forward and covered before but I'm not an expert, it's also the advice I was given on a different forum full of plasterers. Plasterer did my sisters whole house like that without complaint.

They'll not be using the best finishing trowel to get the first coat on... as for switches etc, I've always taken them off & tucked the cables into the backboxes (or not fitted the accessories yet on a new wall- fine as long as you test the cables before they're plastered in). Just make sure there's nothing sticking out of the wall further than finished depth. You can always phone your plasterer and ask them what they prefer.......

• Thanks
You could try drilling a fixing hole into the brick, insert a wall plug, then fit the cable clip, perhaps with the nail between the plug and the brick, or whatever works.

You see, you don't get this faffing about so much with conduit or capping.

Even if you need to plug the wall, the galv plasterboard nail should stay on.

I would say get the electrician back, but too late now really.

• Thanks
They do make wall plugs for clips. Guess they’re a similar size to a yellow plug, never used them myself, just one of those things that’s probably a really useful thing to have, but seems like a lot of faff

• Thanks
Agreed with spark Wright
I did quite a few in those annoying aac blocks by drilling, plugging, then removing the nail from the clip and screwing instead

• Thanks
They do make wall plugs for clips. Guess they’re a similar size to a yellow plug
Same size drill, IIRC, but a smaller hole, because...
I did quite a few in those annoying aac blocks by drilling, plugging, then removing the nail from the clip and screwing instead
They are designed to take the clip nails, not screws.

FXPP.JPG

I've used dowels in the past, on brick walls. I've found that the nails in clips vary - some are hard enough to hammer into brick, some are not.

• Thanks
I've used dowels in the past, on brick walls. I've found that the nails in clips vary - some are hard enough to hammer into brick, some are not.
... and also, of course, bricks vary considerably as well. In my house, just like the original plaster, bricks vary from something like a sand castle to something like granite - and so-called masonry nails fail (for different reasons) at both ends of that spectrum!

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
They are designed to take the clip nails, not screws.
I know that, they came with the things pre installed, that's why I had to take them out.
The point was the wall wasn't designed to take them, so I changed to something that would work.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back