Keston Boiler Starting problems

We had a Keston C40 installed about 4 years ago. We chose Keston simply because it was wintertime and Potterton were unable to supply. But it seems to break down for some reason or another once per year - in fact, as I type this I am waiting for the engineers to arrive (and it is snowing outside!)

One of the first problems was the fan shedding parts of itself. Keston were very good about this. They admitted the problem with the fan and although the boiler was out of guarantee they replaced the fan free of charge

Since then we have taken out a British Gas service contract - something we felt was unnecessary for a brand new boiler but we have found it essential. What we didn't know was whether the modern condensing boiler with all of its complex electronics was a naturally unreliable animal compared with the older models.

Anyway. As of now I would warn prospective purchasers not to buy this boiler. But whether other makes are more reliable I've no idea.

As a rider I should add that there is one component that according to the service engineer regularly failed due to a design fault (it melts!). It was not an expensive item but the repair was delayed whilst British Gas had to locate one of these parts. I wrote to Keston and said that if this was a potential problem as they said I'd be happy to buy a spare from them and keep it readily available (like one used to keep a spare fan-belt for Ford motorcars!). I felt this to be a very reasonable approach but Keston never replied!

Sponsored Links
It comes as no surprise to eventually find out that there are others out there with tales of woe relating to Keston products. I have a c55 and 400l tank both installed in 2007. The boiler has failed twice. Fan and pump failures. Fan replacement cost over £800. I had a British Gas Repair Contract however they have told me that they will not take on the system because they refuse to work with Keston products. I was therefore surprised to learn that that policy is not nationwide. Would anyone with more info please respond as British Gas only told me that they would not cover 6 months after they offerred the contract and follwing their engineer attending my home on a repair call out. I have been paying then during this time however the small print suggest that they can refuse to honour the agreement up until they carry out their first visit. Unfortunately their first visit was occasioned by me as my boiler was broken. Net result: I've been paying BG for 6 months for a contract they tell me they would never honour as they do not list Keston as a manufacturer whose products they are willing to maintain. Poor from BG in the extreme and I am in mid complaint but hardly surprising given just how bad Keston appear to be.

• Thanks
Reactions: DWC
I live in Surrey and my British Gas contract (that has just been renewed) does cover the Keston boiler. On the other hand, Keston now run their own service contract facility, which they didn't when we took out our first contract with British Gas.

I've had an LPG Keston 170 for 15 years without any major problems, only a new relay and capacitor every few years. The boiler has been extremely reliable, and has started up immediately pretty much every time. It is only recently that it started having trouble with the fan starting, and has consequently been replaced (also partly because the fuel cost for the new natural gas boiler is cheaper). Admittedly, the fan is very loud, and sounded rather like a jet engine, however this never really caused any problems, as the boiler was rarely on for very long, as it raised the temperature of all 10,000 square ft of my house by around 1.5 degrees (centigrade) per hour. Sounded great too. Also much simpler design than the new boiler, which takes 1/2 an hour just to warm up the radiators, despite supposedly being as powerful as the Keston.
R.I.P keston 170 :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back