Key fob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rover 45 2.0 TD

Can't get the spare fob to work which is hardly ever used.

The battery has 3.3v and I've taken it out and cleaned it and the battery holder with an alcohol wipe.

Still not working.

I sat inside the car and tried tuning in by pressing the lock button - nothing.

Sponsored Links
Most obliged folks

Have tried the door lock open and press the lock button 4 or so times.

Have read about another version from the links above so will try it.

Seems strange that a fob not doing anything should loose its program!

Sponsored Links
My two key fobs went faulty in that they would no longer work remotely. I sent them (one by one!!!) to a company in Uxbridge who were able to replace all the defective components, switches battery cases etc and return in a new case. This company advertises itself on e-bay and has the word REMOTE as the first word of its name. I found them very good, it costs nothing to look!

I take on board the fact that a fob can be faulty.

But the spare fob I have has hardly ever been used and in the past it has work.

Dry solder joint perhaps?

Possibly but try a fresh battery and make sure the terminals are in good contact with it. Then try to reprogramme.

One of my key fobs did not work right from the time I bought the car in 2005! It was only when the second one failed in 2014 that I "got round" to sorting it!

New battery fitted as above, fob worked straight away.

Strange, to say the least, why a fob will work with one fully charged battery and not another!

ref: only a tiny voltage drop when used would be needed for it to play up

Well the battery that was in was 3.2v and Maxell brand but if the internal resistance between + and - is too great for the fob to work, then it's a battery quality issue.

I got five new batteries for £0.99 and one got the fob working, that'll do for me.

Sponsored Links
Back