Key start extension for Generator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I live in Africa where we have 6 to 8 hour power cuts nearly every day.
To get around this we had a generator installed about a year ago which will run most of the appliances in the house apart from oven, microwave and geysers.

The generator is one of these:

http://www.kipor.com/product/xiangxi.aspx?classid=144680341347500032&id=48

I´m now pretty fed up with having to walk out to the outbuilding where it is stored to start it up. It has a key start on the side so I´m hoping it is possible for me to run a cable and extend it into the house.

Is it a case of removing the key housing and extending the cables that run behind it, or will it require a relay? The cable run should be about 20 to 30 metres.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By using a relay you can avoid needing the schematic and doing calculations.
How much does heavy cable cost vs. thin cable and a relay?

Perhaps you could wire the key mechanism with a relay such that when the external power goes off, it closes the relay and therefore starts the generator. You presumably would then be able to hear the gennie running and switch your 3-way switch to switch the house load onto generator power.

According to your link the generator already has a device available for starting automatically:

"ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch)

On the inheriting of the original

general-purpose generator set, KIPOR diesel generator sets with digital control panel can be

equipped with a made ATS(automatic transfer switch). ATS, in its preset intervals, can automatically

check and monitor the running of the genset to ensure the genset in good working

condition. Meanwhile, ATS will monitor the utility power, if utility power fails or the voltage and frequency

of the utility power become abnormal, ATS will give commands to start the genset automatically."

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies.

An ATS would be ideal but we usually don´t run the generator during the day so a manual switch will be needed.

I guess a relay is the way to go because the wiring gauge wont need to be too heavy.

I´ll try to find someone local who can give me a few pointers on how to wire it up.

The relay contacts have to handle the expected current and the relay coil resistance should be high so the connecting wires can be thin.

Sensitive relays cost more so you can trade off relay price for cable price.

If you go with a long cable instead, I'd try for a cable voltage drop at the expected current of less than 5% of the system voltage (12vdc?).

Remember that the key normally does 2 things, switches on the machine then briefly operates the starter motor. As you will still need to be able to operate the generator where it is as well as remotely you will need relays that over-ride the existing switching. You could either have a universal type ignition switch with key for the remote control or a switch and separate push button for the starter motor. Each would need it's own relay.

With a remote start normally there is some device to remove the start command once running as you can't hear it as you can with local start. So it may also require a relay connected to something like the 230 volt outlet to disable the start button once it is running.

Since designed for remote start this may already exist.

Sponsored Links
Back