Key Switches and Neons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please could anyone point me in the direction of any bedtime reading I can do to become more familiar with key switches, emergency lights and neons at switches ?

Sponsored Links
AM2 exam?
A keyswitch is just a switch, just the same as either one way or two way switch.
There are others available such as intermediate and double poled.
Neon indicators are just the same as a lamp, apply L to one side and N to the other and it lights up.
Emergency lights come in a few different varities such as non maintained (off when power is applied, on when power fails) and maintained (on all the time or switchable, on when power fails).
What is the configuration you are looking at? An emergengy light test keyswitch can be wired with permanent live to com, L1 to the emergency light and L2 to the neon so the neon illuminates when the test key is operated thus removing power to the emergency light.

Hi Spark

No not the AM2 but I understand why you would ask :)

The Neons are to be lit permanently to show that there is power to the switch , the emergency are to be wired so that when the key is inserted the mains are switched off and the emergency kicks in...

Am I right in saying that you would run mains to the switch to wire the Neon as youd need a Line and Neutral

Could you then take a link from the Line on the Neon to the Supply side of the key switch and then run the line from the Load side to the emergency fitting ?

The reason I ask is that I am an adult trainee working on a job at the moment and I have taken the lighting plans home to work out how I would go about wiring the lights - im ok with wiring up to the key switches I just need a bit of fine tuning on the key switches

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
It seems a bit daft to have the neon lit 24/7, if it is an indication of power to the em light then it will come after the switch. Neutral will need to be run to the switch for the neon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back