Kingspan septic tank not working

also does anyone know.. are we causing further damage using the unit in its current state?

Sponsored Links
I’ve removed belt and the discs do turn freely however the motor is not turning when supplied with power via the control unit.

I’ve currently removed the motor with a view of replacing this item. Am I right in my diagnosis that this has failed or is there anything else that I should do prior to sourcing?

Finally there appears to be a capacitor in with the wiring is this likely to have failed is there a way I can check. It looks a little odd!

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_5602.JPG
    IMG_5602.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
When applying power to the motor does the fuse blow?
Can you check for water ingress in to the white connector box on the left there? Looks like swa terminates there - could be damp.
Running the unit without the discs turning means the sewage isn’t treated so it will be a bit smelly and you’ll be discharging untreated effluent in to the water course (not ideal!)

The fuse did not blow when powering the motor. There are no signs of water ingress within the connector box.

Looking at this capacitor again and it does look odd and has maybe failed? Am I able to test this via my meter?

What is the purpose of the capacitor and why may it of failed? I guess that this failed and blow the fuse within the control panel and hopefully the motor is still in tact?

Sponsored Links
you wont need to test the cap it is fecked, a new one is not expensive and the motor wont turn until you get one

That cap looks as if it has got a bit warm- good odds is has failed short & blown the fuse eventually. Replace it & try again before you spank £300 on the Kingspan engineer. Also worth disconnecting the motor (and make safe any floating bits of cable) then check the fuses, power up the box and see if that LED display comes up with anything

Perfect thanks guys. I feel like progress is being made :)

I'm just about to order one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332742202003

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 20.31.57.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 20.36.13.png

But am not 100% sure if its an exact match for what I require?

Also whilst I've got the motor off should I consider cracking it open to grease? Or any maintenance that should be done at this stage? As I'm not in a rush to revisit this one anytime soon :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Nothing you can grease inside the motor as far as I'm aware, it should be a sealed unit to prevent damp ingress and short circuiting. Only grease points would be on the shaft through the discs at either end, but even then they may be sealed for life bearings, given the atmosphere they are working in. To remove the belt I wonder if you remove the bolt in the motor pulley, which allows the cap to come off, and slide the belt off the pulley. Been a while since I've looked at a small one.

Cant tell from the pic if the level is right, the discs should be sitting in water at the bottom. Basic operation is, effluent flows into primary section from house, solid matter should settle out and form sludge, with the liquor flowing into the second stage, where the discs are rotating, then into the 3rd section, with the 2nd stage discs, and finally into the humus section, where the brown humus settles to the bottom and the clarified effluent is discharged to the ditch.

I wouldn't want to drink it, but if the plant is working as it should be, the discharged water should be clear to the eye. As advised, keep use of detergents and chemicals to a minimum, you are relying on the natural activity of the bacteria in the tank to digest the sewage, but equally, it needs to be desludged at regular intervals to prevent the thing going septic, which will also kill off the bacteria and prevent correct operation.

The critical number (that is missing on the case of your proposed substitute) is the capacitance- the existing one is 2 microFarads, that's the value you want for the new one. All the rest of the numbers (apart from the voltage and frequency) are not that useful

Ah okay I'm learning here :) I've just had another look online and I can select a 2 microFarads version via a dropdown on this auction. Trust this will do the job? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CBB61-AC...m=332617433876&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Nothing you can grease inside the motor as far as I'm aware, it should be a sealed unit to prevent damp ingress and short circuiting. Only grease points would be on the shaft through the discs at either end, but even then they may be sealed for life bearings, given the atmosphere they are working in. To remove the belt I wonder if you remove the bolt in the motor pulley, which allows the cap to come off, and slide the belt off the pulley. Been a while since I've looked at a small one.

Cant tell from the pic if the level is right, the discs should be sitting in water at the bottom. Basic operation is, effluent flows into primary section from house, solid matter should settle out and form sludge, with the liquor flowing into the second stage, where the discs are rotating, then into the 3rd section, with the 2nd stage discs, and finally into the humus section, where the brown humus settles to the bottom and the clarified effluent is discharged to the ditch.

I wouldn't want to drink it, but if the plant is working as it should be, the discharged water should be clear to the eye. As advised, keep use of detergents and chemicals to a minimum, you are relying on the natural activity of the bacteria in the tank to digest the sewage, but equally, it needs to be desludged at regular intervals to prevent the thing going septic, which will also kill off the bacteria and prevent correct operation.

Thanks Hugh! Yes after inspection the motor does appear to be sealed. I'll take a look for any grease points on the shaft tomorrow. Thanks for all the info and help with this everyone. Its really appreciated!

Ah okay thanks you posted as I was typing.. Shame its in France! Typical. I'll have another hunt around to see if I can find a waterproof version in the UK.
There are lots of them on there, but you will have to get the voltage and frequency to match, and as already said it has to be 2uF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back