Kingspan septic tank not working

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I'm being told the following conflicting information...

"The schematic clearly shows that for a clockwise direction you should have Live (brown) on U1, Neutral (blue) on U2 and the capacitor wired between U2 and Z2.

It couldn't be clearer."

Can I check that live and neutral are definitely U2 and U1?

Heres hoping to get this thing running again today!
Just out of curiosity, do you mean the motor was supplied without a capacitor, which you had to specify and source yourself, and consult this forum about how to connect it? Seems odd.
The wiring diagram in the pic shows the connections to the internal motor windings. Did you get any instructions with it, showing which terminals the incoming leads, live and neutral go to? (earth is obvious)
There seems to be disagreement about whether live or neutral goes tp U1.

No disagreement, it simply doesn't matter. It's a single phase AC supply
OK thanks. Also I see now I was misreading the wiring diagram, I assumed the circle with the ~ was the motor, not the supply. Putting the ~ in a circle confused. Getting that right, the wiring is straightforward!
I still think it's odd he has to spec the capacitor - capacitance, voltage rating? And where to fit it. Inside the terminal box would be ideal, but from earlier pics it could be a tight fit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Once the new motor is connected and tested to be ok, I would attempt to rotate the discs by hand a few turns before putting the belt back on, get them thoroughly wet and balance the weight. Otherwise you may put strain on the new motor when it reaches certain points as it tries to drag the wet section upwards on each revolution.

Guys I just wanted to report back on this... Ive wired up and fitted the replacement motor and the discs are now turning again so thanks very much to everyone that helped me get this going again. I appreciate that my approach to this is not ideal but when you can not afford to do things any other way you must seek this route.

As much as this outcome is a result! I feel that I have gone full circle as my original issue has now returned and we have the smell again in upstairs bathroom :( I guess there must be some kind of blockage somewhere but havent got the energy to fully trouble shoot today and will start another thread. I just hope that whatever is causing the smell isnt the reason that the original motor failed and will potentially kill the new motor.

Anyhow thanks again and happy weekend all. :)

You just need a smoke bomb in the drain and you should smell/see where he dirty air is escaping from.

Once the motor is turning the discs freely, then it should last for many years without an issue, although a septic tank isn't the ideal environment for motors, (or anything else metal!) Really cannot see anything other than a tank full of solid matter causing the motor to fail other than wear and tear. (I've been to one of these, serving an Indian takeaway, it was absolutely solid with congealed fat. Discs probably hadn't turned for months, only called us out as it was overflowing from the manhole before the tank, and he was scared Environmental Health might see it.... The Guy wasn't too impressed when I told him the £95 emptying charge had gone out the window...)

Just remember to keep things lubricated as required, and the tank desludged as required. Family of 4 I'd suggest annually for a plant of that size. Keep you detergent use to a minimum, you are relying heavily on natural processes to treat the effluent, and bacteria play a large part in that, keep them happy!

A correctly operating tank shouldn't have vast amount of whiff about it, if there is no major odour issue in or around the tank, then the problem is most likely to be in the pipework. Check all drains are running clear, and the system is ventilated before doing anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks very much guys, its really appreciated. The smell is coming into the upstairs via the shower drain in our ensuite. I'm going to do some more investigation over the weekend and try and narrow things down. There is one particular drain outside that stinks that I know that the waste from here runs into it. I've popped the lid and tested shower toilets etc and they all run and move freely. I've also left a hose running here to see if it backed up and it didn't.

Thanks and have a good weekend!

Guys I've just been round all the drains and everything is running freely from house to tank with no blockages or problems.

I can now only assume that this problem goes back to us putting bleach into the shower drain.

My uncle mentioned... "that in the olden days... when a tank was emptied you'd put raw chicken in to reactivate the bio system" At first I thought this was mental but its the only other thing I can try!?

Check to see if the trap is being pulled out of the shower waste
Sorry Dan, can you please explain mate.. I'm not sure what you mean "if the trap is being pulled out of the shower waste"

Just had another look at the shower trap and it comprises of the following...

The rubber seal is loose and I'm going to see if I can replace this now. Hopefully onto something! :)

IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_7865.JPG
IMG_9712.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back