kitchen cabinet door fitting help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help. bought some new kitchen doors to replace old dated ones as nothing wrong with carcess. the problem ive got is one of the fittings to the cabinet is failing to hold i think basically because the hole is too big.
the doors are pre drilled for the hinge unit so no movement there but had to drill into carcess for that part of the hinge.
for the time being had to re hang the old door as the holes for that are fine.
i tried some special putty stuff from diy shop that is supposed to go hard enough to screw but didnt work has anyone got any suggestions as me and my dad are stumped.
only options i can think are to either:
1. hang the door from the opposite side.
2. find either a long screw or wider screw
3. drill all the way through to the next cabinet and use a nut and bolt.

unless anyone has experinece the same before and found a solution. cheers

Sponsored Links
can anyone help. bought some new kitchen doors to replace old dated ones as nothing wrong with carcess. the problem ive got is one of the fittings to the cabinet is failing to hold i think basically because the hole is too big.
the doors are pre drilled for the hinge unit so no movement there but had to drill into carcess for that part of the hinge.
for the time being had to re hang the old door as the holes for that are fine.
i tried some special putty stuff from diy shop that is supposed to go hard enough to screw but didnt work has anyone got any suggestions as me and my dad are stumped.
only options i can think are to either:
1. hang the door from the opposite side.
2. find either a long screw or wider screw
3. drill all the way through to the next cabinet and use a nut and bolt.

unless anyone has experinece the same before and found a solution. cheers

theres always the option of drilling it larger and using a rawlplug..........

yes consider that as option 2 but was worried it wouldnt then fit through the bracket if that makes sense. whats a rawlplug

Sponsored Links
Or you could glue some dowel into the hole (which you could enlarge slightly ot ensure a perfect fit) which you let dry fully. Then predrill into the dowel before screwing a new screw into it.

Or you could glue some dowel into the hole (which you could enlarge slightly ot ensure a perfect fit) which you let dry fully. Then predrill into the dowel before screwing a new screw into it.

Flanders... You must be mates with the woodwork teacher in the staff room.... ;) .................. :LOL:

tried the wood filler thing with this putty stuff but just fell apart and wouldnt hold the screw. packet said it would go off in 10 mins but even 20 mins plus later wasnt hard enough.

please explain the dowel thing.

a Rawlplug............

p4756569_l.jpg

another option that has been suggested is a sex bolt but i cant find anywhere that sell them. any suggestions.

another option that has been suggested is a sex bolt but i cant find anywhere that sell them. any suggestions.

I think that Ann Summers shops sell sex bolts. ;) ;) ;)
But they may well be highly inappropriate for kitchen cabinet doors. :eek: :eek:

I think you may have misheard this and the thing your looking for is HEX Bolts. ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back