Kitchen Design, could do with an opinion on my layout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

This is my first post on the forums, I apologise if this is not the right section but I couldn't find anything else that's more fitting. I am currently driving myself mad trying to redesign my kitchen.

I intend to most of the work myself (tiling, units, worktop etc.) and have registered professionals come in to do the gas and electrics. I am wanting a built in electric oven and gas hob. I have spoken to a gas engineer who has stated that as it's a gas hob with an electric oven underneath it will need an isolation valve in the unit next to the oven and rigid piping.

My bare kitchen layout is as follows:
IMG_0194.JPG

After speaking with my parents, they brought up the idea of putting the oven and hob in the top left corner. After looking on the internet I thought it was a pretty nice idea and so did a plan to see how it would fit.

IMG_0193.JPG

I could do with in someone chipping in, firstly to tell me if this would even be legal. I work full time so going out to see a gas engineer is difficult and the last time I phoned a gas engineer he seemed quite unhelpful. There are already gas pipes at A so I thought they could put the isolation valve in either base unit. My main concern is that the unit holding the hob would not be fixed to the wall.

Secondly, is this just a ridiculous idea? There's a lot of space wasted at the back for a start. Getting an extractor fan fitted will be a nightmare due to window placement. I kind of know this probably isn't the right kitchen to do this in but I'm finding it hard to let go!

I am thinking it would just be much easier to have the hob and oven in-line with units backed against the wall...

Sponsored Links
Putting hob/oven in the corner is a total waste of space. With regards to gas pipe, you can have the gas tap/isolator in the service void behind the oven, providing the oven can be removed, giving access to the tap.

if this would even be legal.

Yes

I work full time

Shop do most had engineers, and funnily enough we usually have family and friends away from work too, and they work full-time.

last time I phoned a gas engineer he seemed quite unhelpful.

These things are often relative.

is this just a ridiculous idea?

Could be. See below.

I am thinking it would just be much easier to have the hob and oven in-line with units backed against the wall...

It will be easier and give you more space. Having it as per your drawing is not a good use of space.

Thank you both for you input. After drawing it out I completely agree with you about wasting space. I reckon I'll just go for standard placement.

Dan, I have absolutely no clue what you're trying to say about having family and friends who work full time.

Sponsored Links
I think what @Dan Robinson is saying is that we are quite busy too and if you can't be ersed meeting someone on site and being flexible, why should we!

I think what @Dan Robinson is saying is that we are quite busy too and if you can't be ersed meeting someone on site and being flexible, why should we!

Firstly, neither you nor Dan have a clue about my life. If I wanted opinions on my lifestyle/ways I choose to spend my free time I would make a thread specifically for that purpose. Secondly, it's a consumer's market - a service provider will be flexible or another service provider will be used, it's simple business. Finally, what does your post actually contribute to my initial query? If you want to flame me, make your own thread.

You asked a question and somebody answered it!

PS - your attitude may explain why you found the engineer you contacted 'unhelpful'

Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself?

I asked a question, it was answered. I said thank you. Then I was slated for stating I work full time? Absolutely nothing wrong with my attitude.

It's your issue if you let people talk to like dirt and say nothing in response. Respect is a two way street, what did I say in the opening post that would deserve any sort of remark?

Again, has your comment got anything to do with the thread?

I asked a question, it was answered. I said thank you. Then I was slated for stating I work full time? Absolutely nothing wrong with my attitude.

It's your issue if you let people talk to like dirt and say nothing in response. Respect is a two way street, what did I say in the opening post that would deserve any sort of remark?

Again, has your comment got anything to do with the thread?

Joe you are better off going to Wicks or B&Q or other kitchen planners, they are far more helpful chaps and can not only advise you on layout and will also know all about plumbing, drainage and electrical requirements including gas connection requirements. You don't plan kitchen around gas fitters, otherwise it would look like something out of an oil refinery, ha ha, my mate went to Magnum Kitchens and had his kitchen designed by them and they were very helpful and supplied every bit required including customised panelling as well. My mate fitted his own kitchen and i was able to help him with electrics and some other work on fitting it for a couple of beers, thats what mates are for.

Wicks or B&Q or other kitchen planners, they are far more helpful chaps and can not only advise you on layout and will also know all about plumbing, drainage and electrical requirements including gas connection requirements.
Are you sure about that ? Aren't they mostly sales people who just want to sell as much as they can. I doubt if there are many who have the necessary qualification or experience to give advice on electrics and plumbing. If they did have that ampount of knowlwedge they would be worikng as elecricians or plumbers and probably earning a lot more than then do as sales people.

Putting hob/oven in the corner is a total waste of space.
The space could be used for a small hot water cylinder that supplies the kitchen tap(s). Saves wasting water if the main hot water cylinder is a long pipe run from the kitchen.
It could, but we need to consider, the volume of area the water heater will take per design of water demand, that the service area behind the cooking appliance will already have some equipment there for both electric and gas, plus access to it.

I work full time so going out to see a gas engineer is difficult and the last time I phoned a gas engineer he seemed quite unhelpful.
Hello Joe, may I make a comment on this, and do not take it personally. I am a self employed tradesman and often I am requested to attend properties to do quotes or assess the work requested, I don't get paid for this part of the job, I understand that people/potential clients work full-time. I also work full-time and attending properties where the client is not allowing any flexibility for my (unpaid) time, regrettably can mean it is impossible for the tradesman to commit to visiting the property at a convenient time for both parties. It works both ways my friend, if the client is not going to make themselves available at a reasonable time, you can hardly expect the tradesman to turn up at unreasonable time for them. As you say if the customer does not like it, they are free to go elsewhere! So those are the options.

I work full time so going out to see a gas engineer is difficult and the last time I phoned a gas engineer he seemed quite unhelpful.
Hello Joe, may I make a comment on this, and do not take it personally. I am a self employed tradesman and often I am requested to attend properties to do quotes or assess the work requested, I don't get paid for this part of the job, I understand that people/potential clients work full-time. I also work full-time and attending properties where the client is not allowing any flexibility for my (unpaid) time, regrettably can mean it is impossible for the tradesman to commit to visiting the property at a convenient time for both parties. It works both ways my friend, if the client is not going to make themselves available at a reasonable time, you can hardly expect the tradesman to turn up at unreasonable time for them. As you say if the customer does not like it, they are free to go elsewhere! So those are the options.
You just said what I did but a bit more polite:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back