Kitchen expansion in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All,

We`re considering extending the kitchen and was wondering if a cheaper option than going into the garden/patio would be to take part of the garage. Anyone hazard a guess of whats involved , i`m assuming as the garage wall is load baring to the floor above it would need some RSJ`s for support.
Thanks
upload_2017-3-14_9-10-54.png

Sponsored Links
if it was me i'd go all along the back with as much glass as possible and some vlux roof windows.

Depending on the dimensions 40-70k

thanks, like that idea. But the price, really that much? We had a quote for an 10x2m extension out the back for £40k

Looks like you'll gain less than 2m2 of kitchen floor by the time the units go back in with that plan.

You need to think abbout what you actually want to achieve before decising how you can achieve it

Sponsored Links
i wasn't think 10x2 I was thinking bigger (3-4M giving you a kitchen/diner).. but the cost IMO goes largely on things like bifold doors, expensive steels to replace walls etc. The fewer you take out the less it might cost.

If you only want a little extra space - you could move the downstairs loo in the the garage space and open the walls up where the loo was.

Thanks. Well the idea was to put in an kitchen island so making the kitchen more rectangular would help that. Taking out the toilet and cupboard would just create a longer galley kitchen which we were trying to move away from.
Was sort of hoping that doing the garage conversion would be a quicker and cheaper way to increase the size rather than going the extension route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back