Kitchen Extension - What To Pay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been a member of this site for a while but haven't done many postings as yet..

Wonder if you guys can help me ?

i'm looking to employ a builder to build an extension to our kitchen (see photo's) the size will be approx 10m2 and we won't be attaching to our neighbours wall however I'm not sure about the following :

1. The kitchen door is higher than the garage, is it possible to raise the garage roof as would like to go for a flat roof.

2.The kitchen step is higher than the garage step, I realise the new floor will be raised to match the height of the kitchen but wouldn't the step from the garage into the extension would be quite high ?

I know it's hard to tell from the photos and info provided but an ideas what I should expect to pay for an extension like this

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Depends what you actually want, best get drawings done then a couple of quotes, then you will know for usre

A few things to consider.

If you leave a small gap down between your extension and the neighbours', it'll be dead space forever. And you'll be so annoyed when you buy that dining table and its just an inch too big ;)

Its possible to build against their wall, so it has seperate walls (in case they make any mods), but you'll need to integrate the roofs. Having a flat roof means their roof can simply drain onto yours, but looking at it, your roof will be a bit higher than theirs, probably a couple of feet, in which case you would have to build a valley for their rainwater (which you'll have to do anyway, on your garage roof)

With the garage roof, its possible to leave the front tiles roof on, but remove the back side, and have a very gentle slope backwards or to the side (thinking about the level of the backdoor, a slope backwards might not be possible)

The garage door has to be a firedoor, and would need raising up so its in line with the kitchen door, the step down would be on the garage side.

That manhole would need moving.

The meter in that box might need moving.

Not as simple as it seems this one.

Sponsored Links
Hi THR62. As the other guys have said the price would depend on what you want and if your intending to do some of the external / internal work yourself or if your planning on paying for the complete job? The best thing is get a few designers / architects round to look at doing some plans and have a chat about what you want then see what they come back with. You will find through conversation they will mention things you hadn't thought of even come up with some better ideas. If I offered any advice having just finished my own extension is to always get several quotes for anything, it takes a little longer but you will get what you want and usually save money but still get a good quality job. Also by a book on home extensions to better understand the process...Haynes do a good one which shows step by step to extending your home, great just for guidance and basic info. Have a look at my kitchen extension post on this site to give you some idea of the mess!! Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back