Kitchen fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been employed as a kitchen fitter for many years,now going to start out on my own,up to now all our electrical certification has been carried out by a member of our company.
What will i require to install and certify my own work ,have had numerous years with kitchen associated electrical works?

Sponsored Links
To self certify compliance with the building regs you will need to become a member of a competent person scheme. Each one of these schemes requires different levels of qualifications, as an example check out the NICEIC Domestic Installer on their website. There are other scheme providers such as NAPIT, ELECSA, ECA etc.
What electrical qualifications do you have?

I think you may need to have the 2381, or if you wait till next year the 2382. That is easy enough, it is open book and a multiple choice exam, on a computer now I believe so you know if you have passed streight away. Each scheme has different levels of qualifications, I think NAPIT requires you to have the 2391 also. Your best bet may be to phone them up and have a word with them to see which scheme best suits you.

Sponsored Links
No formal,10yrs experince (will i need to get CG 2381?)

jacko

little or no spark experience at all then this is it.

1, find a local training centre (can we name them on this site)

2, do their 2-5 day introductory to electrics course. circa £350 (u may not need this if you know you way aroung rings and bonding etc)

3, do the 5 day EAL VRQ Level 2 for domestic ELECTRICAL installers course circa £750

do all this then you become a fully qualified domestic electrical installer.

Basically an electrician who can do anything around a "dwelling" (house).

5, Go to Part P. They come out to look at 2 of your jobs and aslong as you are competent and hold the above qualifications you will get to certify you own work you become a part p competent person..ie can sign off/certify your own work.... lasts 1 year then you have to be retested by part p again.. and so on..

the world is your oyster aslong as you dont want to refit a factory or office block..

you will also need city and guild 2381 which is basically readig up on BS 7671 wiring regs.. multiple choice open book exam on a pc.. can do a course for this aswell 3 days circa £300.

part p inital sign up circa £400.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back