Kitchen grid - 20a switched sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’m pretty sure the answer will be NO but here goes!

I have a kitchen electrical grid (above counter) that controls all integrated appliances. The integrated appliances all have a sunglasses unstitched socket behind them.

I now want to add a boiling water tap under the sink and it requires a standard 13a plug and the nearest electrical supply is the plug for the integrated washing machine.

Can I take a spur of that integrated socket and add another single socket one unit along under my sink (or run the boiler cable though and turn the single socket to a double?

Sponsored Links
Assuming there is a 20 amp switch (without an in-line 13 amp fuse) controlling the washing machine socket, you could replace the single socket for a double socket.

It would be best to extend the wiring so the double socket goes in a nearby cupboard so that hopefully the washing machine lead AND the water boiler lead both reach. You don't want this behind the washing machine, it makes things awkward.

It would be advisable to fit a decent brand of socket capable of supplying these relatively powerful appliances - I understand the MK ones take a bit of stick.

Thank you. That makes sense I can’t imagine there would be a 13a fuse somewhere in between (other than the plug ha ha)

using some P=IV calculations the amps should never go over 20 even if both devices were on their max usage.

so where the existing socket is a single recessed into the wall Is it best to plate it up, extend the wire out and then fix a surface mounted socket in the adjacent unit?

Sponsored Links
Yes I think so. Providing the following would be ok:

junction box/push wire connectors in the single/current recessed box, face plate with hole in, tac cable to wall to new socket position?

Last edited:
Yes, a blank plate, keep cable tight to wall, there's not much room behind most integrated appliances.

Do know what size cable to use? 2.5mm2 T+E would be usual.

Yep good to go with that! I’ll let you know the result!

All worked no problems. Used a flex outlet as the connector to a 2.5mm and ran to new socket.

Let’s hope it can take both appliances now!

thanks for the help.

So they both seem to run fine together.

just having a wobble that the double socket powering both devices will overheat/cause a fire.

@sparkwright - what made you reassured that it should be ok

The socket is a spur from the kitchen circuit.

A single or a double socket can be used on a spur.

It has been discussed on this forum that an MK double socket (as recommended above) is capable of taking two 13 amp appliances.

You have told us the two appliances in question total up to no more than 20 amp, and 20 amp I believe is the assumed load for any double socket.

Hopefully all your connections are sound, correct size cable used.

Always a good idea to check sockets for cracks and wear and tear and heat damage as a matter of course, especially the ones that are hidden away.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back