Kitchen - How to install Splash back / upstands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have not visited the site for a while! I am updating my kitchen and
Project is progressing really well, have intsalled new worktops etc already, part of the update is to install new upstands, 10cm high around the worktop and majority of this is done and looking good except I am still undecided how to do it behind the hob...for reasons below:

1) do I run the upstand in one piece behind the hob and then install (sit) the stanless steal splashback above the upstand? or

2) intsall the splashback directly form worktop level and cut the upstand either end of splashback?

I have seen few forums and people are saying you can do it either way and its personal prefrence how you intsall it. I think it might be better to do it as (in 2) because there is only 2cm gap between the upstand & hob so if I run the upstand in one piece, when cooking it might get hot and over time might damage the upstand as it is standard (chipboard/laminate) type so installing the splashback from worktop level will get over this issues.

Any advice will be much appriciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No 2, you just answered your own question ;)

Otherwise the upstand will get greasy or discoloured

Also the cut edge will need to be iron on if available in your colour, if not, I've managed carefully cut a very thin slice of the off-cut upstand to glue it to the edge

Another one I've done is to bring the splash back forward with the upstand all round the edge behind the slash back about 10mm proud

Thanks for your comments Masona, I have the edging strips in same colour as upstand so thats not a problem :)

Sponsored Links
Treat upstands the same as Skirting or Dado rail: That is to say, scribe the internal corners, not mitred. This allows you to cut pieces fitting between walls a fraction under size with no gaps.The exposed ends, cut a reverse mitre 45 deg so your decorative edge is exact length and the cut goes 45 deg backwards to the wall. Then cut a 45 deg wedge to glue on the end with the dec edge outward. This will finish the corner with the radius going around the end. Use evo stick or mitre fast. If your wall has waves in it don't try and bend the upstand to fit. Glue it to the high points and use frame seal or caulk to fil the gaps. You choose to paint the filler wall colour or upstand colour. The jury is out on that one. Wavy upstand looks worse. Trans silicone is best at the joint between upstand and worktop unless you can get a good colour match.

Chippy mears

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back