Kitchen light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I want to install a strip light under the kitchen units and wire it up to a close by double wall socket.
In the wall socket are 3 cables. 2 with live earth and neutral and one with live and neutral.
All 3 are currently connected to the plug socket.
If i want to add the light on with a switch, can i take one of these cables and use that or do all 3 need to pass through the new light switch and the wall socket to complete the circuit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am worried about the wire with no earth. See where this leads. Is it in round conduit of the metal variety? If not, its dangerous

If it leads to another socket as a spur, DO NOT USE THAT SOCKET UNTIL THE CABLE IS REPLACED!

If it leads to another socket and then on to others, as part of the ring, go to the CU, disconnect the earths for this circuit and measure continuity across the earths on that ring. If none, or you dont own a multimeter, call an electrician for you own safety. A picture of the cables in question would be great. See forum info for how to post pictures.

Are you aware of Part P (search the forum for it, legal stuff)

What you need to power that light is a fused spur. Currently, you cannot take a spur off that socket, as it already has a spur coming off it (3 wires). Try the next socket, you need one with 2 wires in it. Use a piece of 2.5mm² Twin and Earth cable and take the supply from that socket to a switched fused connection unit (fitted with a 3A fuse). Then use 1.0mm² cable to feed to the light.

If you dont understand any of these terms, please do get back to us, or if you now doubt your ability to do the work, call an electrician, or wire the light to a plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back