Kitchen refit quote help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am getting an old Bakelite fuse board swapped out and I need my kitchen rewired, only basic a few double sockets about and two feeds for a elec hob and elec cooke (no spot lights or fancy bits)

The main fuse board is in my porch and cables need to be ran under lounge floor which I am doing removing the floorboard same in the kitchen so its abit easier for the sparks

Quoted around £1100, is that about right or a bit high?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I expect you will get answers along the lines of 'how long is a piece of string :)

But very roughly a new consumer unit might be say £600-£900 or so, so with a kitchen to do as well, I would say your price sounds around the right ballpark or even quite cheap.

Okay great, I did think 300-500 for the consumer unit. and I do need the cables pulled in for the elec hob and cooker plus a few sockets dotted around. cheers

Sponsored Links
Has the electrician said what tests he plans to do before swapping the board? Or what your exposure is to ongoing costs to fix problems afterwards?

Is he registered?

Has the electrician said what tests he plans to do before swapping the board? Or what your exposure is to ongoing costs to fix problems afterwards?

Is he registered?

Company shows up on http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

Quote is basic, shows fuse board with certification, hob and iso box, all the cable needed, and labour of around £600. Nothing about possible ongoing costs

How much were your other quotes?

Andy

That's my problem, rang about 10 local people with good reviews online, one keeps saying he's coming to quote but its been weeks, and get the odd text saying hes coming this week but no response from the other when ringing.

Can only presume they are all busy at the mo

I would try and get 3 quotes but don't beg someone to give you a quote.

Good luck on finding others.

Andy

How many circuits has your existing Board got 6? Each circuit will need testing afterwards even if they haven't been "worked" on as such.

£1100 including cable plus New board sounds good value if a complete schedule of results is indeed included too.

Nothing about possible ongoing costs
You should speak to him about that.

Basically your new CU might detect existing faults which the current one doesn't. You ought to find out what the electrician plans to do to check beforehand vs waiting for an unwanted surprise, and what he'll do if problems do surface, either before or afterwards.

When I recently suggested that I would expect the installation to be inspected and tested prior to a CU change, so that the cost etc. implications of remedying anything found could be discussed, various people jumped down my throat!

Hi,

I am getting an old Bakelite fuse board swapped out and I need my kitchen rewired, only basic a few double sockets about and two feeds for a elec hob and elec cooke (no spot lights or fancy bits)

The main fuse board is in my porch and cables need to be ran under lounge floor which I am doing removing the floorboard same in the kitchen so its abit easier for the sparks

Quoted around £1100, is that about right or a bit high?

Thanks

You don't normally need separate feeds for oven and hob. One does for both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back