KITCHEN SINK WASTE

Don't feel smug yet. It's wrong. Leave it like that and it'll get gungy, smelly and blocked.
The U bend of the trap should be the other way around. The way you have it, the whole of the waste arrangement will be full of water rather than just the u bend. Turn that piece around and shorten the last vertical section before the connection on to the old pipe.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hate to tell you ,but you have assembled it completely wrong.
The trap should be lower than the horizontal lengths. And the connection to the right hand sink waste is the wrong fitting.

@conny

Thanks for the reply. I'm puzzled as to why you think this may be a problem.

Looking at picture 2 (same as in post #14 - just labelled for clarity)

New Sink Waste (3).jpg

The main sink (A) flows down pipe B into the trap at C.

The waste will flow up pipe D along pipe E to the elbow at F and down to the outflow at H.

The half sink (I) also flows into trap C.

When draining the main sink (A), the water level will rise up D until it flows along pipe E and hown to H. When empty, the remaining water from sink (A) will flow down from F to H as long as the level at D is higher. When it isn't, the water level will be the same height at I, D and A - at the bottom of pipe E.

I have this correct don't I?

This will cause a water seal for both half-sink (I) and main sink (A).

If I understand you correctly, you want to lower the height of the trap C such that pipes B and E are the same height?

If I have this correct, can you please explain why this arrangement is better?

Is it because once sink A is drained, the compression fitting at A will be 'dry' and thus less prone to leak?

BTW, the water will never flow back to the washing macine as the drain hose is higher than the pipe 'E' (see picture 1) in post #14 above.

I'm not intending to criticise your advice here, I'm just trying to understand why you are concerened with the existing arrangement. As I said initially, I'm not a plumber, nor do I pretend to be one.

Thanks in advance

Dave

a

Sponsored Links
Don't feel smug yet. It's wrong. Leave it like that and it'll get gungy, smelly and blocked.
The U bend of the trap should be the other way around. The way you have it, the whole of the waste arrangement will be full of water rather than just the u bend.

Ahh ... that makes sense!

I wasn't feeling smug, I thought I'd solved the problem for my daughter - as when it was all fitted together, it all *seemed* to work okay and apart from a minor weep (which was easily sorted), it didn't leak (always a plus for me when dealing with water and waste pipes)!

Reason I came on this forum was to ask for help and advice from those more knowledgeable than me, and I'm always happy to listen and I'll ask questions because I'm coming from a place of ignorance.

Turn that piece around and shorten the last vertical section before the connection on to the old pipe.

Again, that makes perfect sense and easily sorted.

Thank you

Dave

Hate to tell you ,but you have assembled it completely wrong.
The trap should be lower than the horizontal lengths. And the connection to the right hand sink waste is the wrong fitting.

Hi Terry

Puzzled by the bit in bold.

Could you explain a bit further please?

Thanks

XRD

The part that connects to the sink waste ( big plastic nut and conical shaped seal) is supposed to connect to a vertical pipe ( part of the kit you bought), by compressing the conical shaped seal.
The correct part has a much thinner seal , that sits against a ridged collar which itself is part of a pipe section ( also part of the kit) ,and it is that collar that the big plastic nut tightens up against.

I wasn't feeling smug, I thought I'd solved the problem for my daughter
Daughters need a dad who can do stuff and you've almost got it sorted. (y). Believe me, you've already done better than many "professional" installations that I've seen. Make the simple change I suggested, and all should be ok.
BTW, plastering defeats me also.

Last edited:
Wrote a long reply then the computer decides to tell me there are more posts to view and it seems everyone has already put you right. So I'll shut up and go back to my large slice of cheesecake.

Seems like everything is in hand, and top marks Dave for your willingness to accept advice and criticism. Plenty who come on here that dont.

@XrayDave, as others have said, you've done a great job and got your daughter out of a sticky problem. Quite rightly you are her hero.
My explanation was probably a bit complicated, but it was along the lines of what Elkato and Terryplumb have said. Basically too much static water in the pipework after emptying leading to possible smells.
Take their advice and reverse the u-bend then lower the rear horizontal run and final vertical length.
Well done on a good job.

Wrote a long reply then the computer decides to tell me there are more posts to view and it seems everyone has already put you right. So I'll shut up and go back to my large slice of cheesecake.

Seems like everything is in hand, and top marks Dave for your willingness to accept advice and criticism. Plenty who come on here that dont.

I'm always willing to accept advice and learn.

That's why I was able to put a new vanity unit with tap and sink in my daughter's downstairs wc with a new waste pipe to an outside drain which involved cutting the cold water pipe to an existing outside tap, soldering a 'Tee' to a new position for a new outside tap and two elbows to take the cold water pipe around the corner thus providing a feed for the sink (incidentally freeing a 'stuck' gate valve in the process).

I was (until this whole kitchen sink issue hit the fan) tiling it (pics below).

I may be slow (I wouldn't make any money if I did it as a job) but it is done right - or at least to the best of my ability.

My Dad had a philosophy which was "Do your best. If you do your best, nobody can criticise you because it is the best that you can do." If it wasn't your best, his next question was "Why not?" There was no such thing in my Dad's book as "That's good enough!" or "That'll do!" I try to live by this (which sometimes causes me both extra work, pain and anguish) but that's another story.

Regarding the sink, my daughter is a single Mum with two small children and not a lot of spare cash. By doing this job for her she's been able to have it done at least five days earlier than she would have otherwise and around £120 cheaper. The guys (I won't call them plumbers) that took the old sink out charged her around £80 to do just that and rather than loosen the tight nuts on the isolating valves (see pic 1, post it #1 this thread) to disconnect the taps, they simply sawed through the pipes so that they were flush with the top of the nuts. I won't tell you what I called those clowns afterwards! The same firm wanted north of £150 to fit the sink (i.e re-plumb the hot and cold water and re-do the waste pipes) - and that didn't include the sink or taps.

Sink 1.jpeg

and

Sink 2.jpeg

(above pic was 2 weeks ago)

Any tradespeople that come here get a grilling - not in a bad way you understand - so that I might be able to undertake tasks myself (except gas work and boiler servicing I hasten to add).

Several years ago we had an Ideal Minimiser boiler and for the first few years it worked fine. Then it started to play up. We had a BG Service Contract (Homecare 400 I think it was called) and I got to know that boiler's insides somewhat intimately - so much so that if I had the parts I could probably have fixed it myself.

In the end BG were just throwing parts at it - it had new burners, thermocouples, gas valves, heat exchangers, pcbs - about the only thing that hadn't been replaced was the exterior casing.

Each time an engineer came - some came several times and I got to know their names - they were questioned about what they were doing and why. It possibly irritated some but I learned a lot.

Same with roofers, builders, plumbers and plasterers - although I still can't get plaster to stay on the damned wall, no matter what I try.

I'll make the changes suggested so that only the trap (C) remains "wet".

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Daughters need a dad who can do stuff and you've almost got it sorted. (y). Believe me, you've already done better than many "professional" installations that I've seen. Make the simple change I suggested, and all should be ok.
BTW, plastering defeats me also.

I built a kitchen once for a client, they provided double sink - I couldn’t work out how the supplied waste worked, so their plumber had a go - he couldn’t do it either….turned out it was the wrong waste kit :ROFLMAO:

double sink wastes can be pretty confusing TBF

It was seriously doing my head in on Friday - hence this thread.

The plumber who had removed the old sink had (thankfully) taken the waste apart by unscrewing the compression fittings into two large and complicated pieces instead of simply sawing through them (as he had done with the hot & cold water pipes).

I took the waste fittings apart piece by piece - marking the joints (1 - 7 on one piece and A - E on the other) in the vain hope that I could easily piece them back together and effectively replumb the new sink using the old waste fittings. They were given a thourough cleaning to get rid of all of the smelly and slimy 'gunk'.

However, when I tried to re-plumb them in, I simply couldn't get them to work with the new sink - despite the new and old sinks being 1 1/2 bowl with the drainer on the same side.

Knowing that it was possible but not being able to see how to do it (despite all of the pieces being re-assembled correctly) led to much frustration and anger - let alone blue air!

Thanks to the kind folks on here, now sorted - albeit with a minor modification still being required.

I'm very grateful to all that have taken the time to post help, suggestions and latterly, explanations.

Kind regards

Dave

Last edited:
Dave just to be clear, I didnt suggest cable ties to hold the yellow glove on the pipe did I ! The idea of using the glove was as an overnight get out of jail free card purely to enable desperate daughter and kids to have a shower until the shops reopened and you could buy the correct kit and if applied correctly it wouldnt have made a water balloon either !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back