Kitchen spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved to this house which has 8 spotlights in kitchen off one light switch. Some come on, thne go off and others come on. Never all 8 on at once, 4 at most stay on at one time?
I'm told theyb run off a transformer and have 50w bulbs in.
Can I change anything, or is a new set of lights needed?
Any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
check how many transformers you have got? one per lamp or is there more on each one? what rating are they. And are you using all 50w lamps.

Hi, Patsy,
my new best friend,
get a sparky in.
If you pay them you don't have to sleep with them, (usually) ;)
BTW, I'm a bricky, worst luck. ;-(

Thanks for those.
I got one quote, he said I needed everything new plus £150 labour on top?
I'll have a fiddle (can't get to them from bedroom above because of laminate floor.....well I can, but want to avoid lifting it) and see if I can find out how many transformers there are and what rating. All bulbs are 50w.
If I were to change the lot, does anyone know what the very low watt spotlights are called so I can ask for quotes for those.

Sponsored Links
CFLs? They are great. :D They come in 7, 9 and 11 watt versions. I have three 9 watt ones in my bathroom, and they are so much better than halogen spotlights. I wholly recommend these.

But they only work on mains voltage.

150 quid is about the going rate for labour, IMO. About a days work to change the lot.

Thanks for those.
I got one quote, he said I needed everything new plus £150 labour on top?
I'll have a fiddle (can't get to them from bedroom above because of laminate floor.....well I can, but want to avoid lifting it) and see if I can find out how many transformers there are and what rating. All bulbs are 50w.
If I were to change the lot, does anyone know what the very low watt spotlights are called so I can ask for quotes for those.

You can remove the spotlights from below as they are fixed by spring clips into the hole and clamp onto the plasterboard. Still recommend a sparks though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back