Kitchen spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,Just in the middle of wiring my kitchen for mains halogen lights and just realised I am using 1.00mm cable...I am putting 3 banks of 3X50watt lights in. Is this size cable sufficient or do you think I should go to 1.5mm?

Sponsored Links
3x50w = 150w 3x150 = 450w 450/230 = 1.85amps. As long as the MCB/fuse for the circuit is no more than 6amp 1mm is OK.

Depends on a lot of things. I assume this is the cabling on the mains voltage side to the transformers (or are u using mains halogen?).

In any event, if the circuit leaves the consumer unit as 1.5mm² then (as a general rule) you must not use smaller gauge cable elsewhere on the circuit.

Assume you will be notifying the Local Authority when you have finished this electrical work in a special location (kitchen)? See here: //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

TTC

wow that was quick Pensdown.thanks alot.......but forgot to say that i can fit a 20junction box to each run..would it be wise to then run 1.5mm to each light?

Sponsored Links
I'm on the late shift :LOL:

The current rating for 1mm cable is around 14amps before de-rating factors so if you have a 6/10amp lighting circuit 1mm is fine.

The rating of the JB needs to be the same or greater than the size of the MCB so yes, a 20amp JB on a 6/10amp circuit is fine.

Also note Taylors link re Part P, happy reading.

And those JBs (up in the ceiling to connect uo the lights?). These must be accessible so make sure they are big enough to go thru the holes.

TTC

Thanks both of you......Yes I am well aware of part p...have a nvq3 in electrical maintenance for factory work, mainly motors...but know I need electrical certification...sighh ..........and i'm not really up on current law on downlighting.
I am putting the 20amp jb's @ the edge of the ceiling with feeds to three lights each......but once the new ceiling is up they wont be accessible............is that ok taylor..........thanks once again for your help

Basil said:
but once the new ceiling is up they wont be accessible
They are supposed to be, but I doubt there's a house in the land without an inaccessible JB somewhere..

is that ok taylor
Don't ask him - he can't read:
Basil said:
Hi guys,Just in the middle of wiring my kitchen for mains halogen lights
Taylortwocities said:
Depends on a lot of things. I assume this is the cabling on the mains voltage side to the transformers (or are u using mains halogen?).
;) :) :D :LOL:

Sorry, missed that bit of the OP.

I know there's lots of hidden JBs out there and there are lots of people who drive past my daughter's school at 50mph in a 30 zone. Both are wrong.

Hidden screwed junctions are wrong, its against the regs and its a pain. I mark it as a 2 when i find it on an inspection.
Why hide the JBs where you cant get to them without ripping the ceiling out???, much better to have them just inside one of the holes then you (or the next guy) can access them if a fault occurs.

TTC

point taken Taylor......I will alter the wiring to get the jb's up inside the nearest spots. Thanks Ban. i bet your right.but I do like to get things right if I can. :LOL:

Thanks Taylor,
Can you recommend anywhere to get downlights as well that will take 2 cables and let me wire in parallel?.........all the ones I have seen seem to have a small connection box for one cable!!

Taylortwocities said:
much better to have them just inside one of the holes

Much better to have one per hole, and not too close so they don't overheat!! :LOL:

Just ribbing TTC, but yes. Use one jb per fitting. Make sure when you push the kit into the void, the cables & jb's are away from the lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back