kitchen stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After several years of having a leaking stopcock (only occasional dripping if switched completely off or in certain positions when on), I have finally had my stopcock fixed.
The plumber said it should always be fully open when switched on (we have always had it open just enough to get decent pressure, otherwise it dripped, and have never had it anywhere near fully open).
I just want to check that the stopcock should be fully open when on (which is all of the time except when we are away from home on holiday). I don't want to come home to a flooded kitchen.

Thanks

Sarah

Sponsored Links
useally fully open then back 1/2 turn just stops the spindle jamming with scale etc.

if you open/shut them every now & then keeps them free

That's very useful, thanks.

Is it a good idea to close it when I go on holiday?

Sponsored Links
Hi, having the stopcock fully open wont harm it at all, like someone has said keeping it half a turn from completely open will stop in jamming with limescale. Inside the stopcock is something called a jumper, which is what the washer sit's on, this automatically closes if there is no pressure flowing through the valve. Also, it wouldnt hurt every couple of months to open and close the valve a few times, just to make sure the spindle dose not jam or become clogged. ;)

Thanks.
This question may have seemed trivial to some people, so it's really useful to get the kind of feedback I've received.

Most modern tap jumpers stay in the holder when the taps open.

No one has said that the nut as shown in the picture marked as "gland" can often be tightened up to stop them leaking at this point.

In the case of older taps its usually necessary to repack the gland by unscrewing the nut completely and putting a few turns of twisted PTFE tape round the shaft before refitting the nut.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back