Kitchen worktop by window ledge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any suggestions what to do where the worktop reaches the window ledge?
As you can see in the picture below (without the worktop) the units are just below the level of the window so once the worktop is added there will be a big gap between the top of the worktop and the bottom of the window frame.

The worktop is one of the laminated ones and won't stretch all the way into the window bay. Should I try and build up the window area so it finishes level with the worktop if I tile it - or raise it up a bit, so the tiles sit higher than the worktop?
Also as that's where the sink will be should I seal the back of the worktop with anything?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20130113_165159.jpg

Sponsored Links
Needs a new shorter window, but as that's probably outside your budget build it up as high as possible so it sits above worktop of flush if you have a spare bit of worktop you could cut in as a window board.

i would fit worktop then build up cill and cut in a new window board,make a feature out of the problem,or make a tile cill detail.

Thanks - would sealant be suitable at the join of the worktop and the tiling / window board to keep everything watertight?

Sponsored Links
if going down the wooden cill route,then make sure its painted/varnished on the underside to make sure it doesnt become a wick.overkill wont hurt so i would use packers to raise the cill up and then say gripfil to stick the board down onto the packers then a silicone bead under the edge where it sits on worktop,wouldnt hurt raising the board up a tad with a fall towards the worktop.

Fit the worktop as you normally would and do nothing to raise the cill, you don't need to. Attach a piece to the rear of the worktop, same interior width as the window so that you create a small splashback that sits 75-100mm above the worktop level. You could use a waterproof finish such as uPVC or you could use pvc top edged MFC. If you're tiling then this piece will be flush with wall finishes either side and can, if you wish, be the same height as the tile you choose.
Done this a number of times in this same situation and it works well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back