knock-through dilemma - what do pro's do?

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Custom sliding doors and windows be fitted by manufacturer next Tuesday. Do I knock through before or afterwards - what would a professional do?

Sponsored Links
OP,
Your post is confusing - are these replacement frames for existing frames or are new holes to be made in the house external walls in entirely new positions?

Surely the installers have indicated what preparation and conditions they expect to find on arrival on site?

• Thanks
Reactions: oly
Thanks guys. The windows are in brand new extension. I just wondered if pro never knock thru until the windows are actually in (in case windows are wrong size etc.)

Sponsored Links
Are you referring to knocking thro into the main house? If so then wait until the extension is secure before opening up.

I'm wondering how windows will be fixed without a hole to fix them in?

Are you referring to knocking thro into the main house? If so then wait until the extension is secure before opening up.

Yes that is right, knocking thru to main house - whether it is best to knock thru before the windows arrive (in order to avoid all the dust etc getting into everything).

Yes that is right, knocking thru to main house - whether it is best to knock thru before the windows arrive (in order to avoid all the dust etc getting into everything).
Secure the extension first. Wind, weather and scrote proof.

It depends largely upon the size of the knock through and how you go about securing the opening.

We often consider which is the most important i.e. whether to get the screed down and get all the rubbish out before installing expensive pristine frames into the building.

In some instances we have actually left the masonry out beneath a window so that we can have access to the building for the, internal block-work, the internal knock through and the screeding etc. This occurs when there are no external doorways out of a new extension.

All you need do is secure the knock through with 18mm ply and studding etc. We sometimes brace it with an Acro prop too.

Access via a window!

• Thanks
P.S. in the above extension, the knock through was over 2.2m wide so involved a fair bit of timber and sheeting but was essential in view of the fact that the screeders, the plasterboards, and all the other stuff could be brought in before we closed off that window.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back