Knocking doorway through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after a bit of advice please.

We are looking at getting a new kitchen fitted but toying with the idea of knocking a single door way into a double and installing bi fold doors that can be folded around one side.
The door way is internal but on an external wall (extension build) so would need a structural engineer and RSJ inserted.

1. Would the doorway need to be completed before the kitchen quote.
2. Would I approach a structural engineer before builder and just hand builder the calculations for RSJ.
3. Also, we are thinking about cost. If needed, is it possible to completer door way and frame but purchase and install doors months later or would the builder/joiner need the doors to be able to complete door opening.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a lintels, no engineer or calculations required. You need building regulation approval. Builder does not require the frame to form the opening, but will need the exact frame dimensions. Likewise for the quote, but the firms quoting will need to know where the doorway will be.

Thanks Woody.

Do you mean catnic lintels? If so, as these are 'off the shelf' how would I know what load I would need to support?

So long as you are not exceeding say 1800mm, then loadings are accounted for using proprietary lintels, as long as there are no unusual loadings above.

Sponsored Links
If it’s internal both sides, and you use a steel one, don’t forget to fireline board it

So you need to measure the span and check whether any point loads are going on to the lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back