L-shaped bath/shower screen leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of those l-shaped bath screens to fit my l-shaped bath. I've sealed the screen as per the manufacturer's instructions and have replaced the sealing strip at the bottom of each pane of glass.

Unfortunately, it still leaks at the point circled in red on the below picture (where the screen swings at the hinge). Despite battens under the edge of the bath to hold up the edges, water still runs along the edge and eventually pools at that swinging hinge where it will spill over the edge and eventually onto the floorboards under the tiles.

I shower with the door pushed inwards which helps. My partner does not. She also takes long showers which builds up the pooling water.

Is it possible to have these screens converted to fixed screens? I've seen other versions of my screen which look almost identical to the second picture below except they have a chrome strip where the two panes meet. The glass panes are the same size - I'm hoping you can get the spare parts? Wickes couldn't help me.

Anybody any experience of these?

L-2016-1-20--14-45-58-580.jpg c175aec6-f948-418a-bc46-1ba17bc72d4c.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link to them. Saw a few parts I think may do the job but I have e-mailed them asking for confirmation. Just seems a shame to waste an otherwise decent screen.

Sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread, but I wanted to offer my solution for anybody searching for one on Google.

I went to the local DIY shed and bought UPVc quadrant trim. I removed the screen seal then stuck this down with silicone to the top of the bath edge (where the screen sits and following the L-shape), replaced the bath screen seal and let dry.

When dry I ran a bead of bathroom silicone sealant along the outer edge and let that dry. Since then (6 months ago now) water running down the glass cannot go under the seal and instead runs into the bath. Cost of the quadrant was about £4.

Sponsored Links
Your original problem suggests the screen was mounted too far out, water should drip off straight into bath and no pooling should occur.

Your original problem suggests the screen was mounted too far out, water should drip off straight into bath and no pooling should occur.

It probably was I agree, but even if it were on the inner edge of the bath this strip stops any pooling water running along and out too.

In an ideal world all new baths would be fitted to sit on wall battens with a slight slope inwards at the edges to help direct water but for those of us who have bought homes with baths not fitted this way I hope this helps.

I had one of those screens on a P shaped bath... what a PITA, kept leaking exactly where you said! My bath was level, but the corner didn't appear to drain toward the bath so pooling was inevitable and because the screen is supposed to hinge it's difficult to seal where the hinge was.

We'll be re-doing the bathroom soon but took the screen down and put a shower curtain in for now!

Do you have a picture of your fix?

I had one of those screens on a P shaped bath... what a PITA, kept leaking exactly where you said! My bath was level, but the corner didn't appear to drain toward the bath so pooling was inevitable and because the screen is supposed to hinge it's difficult to seal where the hinge was.

We'll be re-doing the bathroom soon but took the screen down and put a shower curtain in for now!

Do you have a picture of your fix?

It is a pain. The previous owners clearly never tackled it and there is water damage underneath the bath at this point. I nearly installed a curtain myself while trying to work out a fix!

I'll post a picture of what I did later today. Since installing not water at all has leaked from the edges and it's comforting to know that there won't be any water leaks while the other half takes her Amazonian 30 minute showers.

Here are the pics. I siliconed the quadrant strip along where the screen sat and mitred at the corner. I then used sealant along the edge of the quadrant.

Where it meets the screen hinge I just cut it to match the curved shape.

Attachments

• 165C702F-9F70-4CAF-8DF1-1282E9EDAC64.jpeg
    165C702F-9F70-4CAF-8DF1-1282E9EDAC64.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 3,760
  • 4F45FD5F-154C-43F7-9022-E9F6BEC64C69.jpeg
    4F45FD5F-154C-43F7-9022-E9F6BEC64C69.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 3,716

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back