labc registration for periodic inspection for a rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i am in the unfortunate position that i need to sell my house but had it re-wired a year ago by an electrician who did not make it clear i would need a certificate for the work, he was a friend who seemed to be doing me a favor at the time but now i wished he didn't!!!
i have had a full periodic inspection yesterday at a cost of £350+vat and everything was in very good order, i'm not sure where to go from here.... what happens next, will the periodic inspection certificate satisfy any buyers solicitors or will i need more paper work, can i register the inspection with LABC to obtaian more credibality or is there something to do with retrospective planning consent, i have no idea!!!!!!
all i want to do is sell my house with no hitches so i just want to get all the paperwork in order before i get it on the market.
thanks for any help you can give me!
ade

Sponsored Links
Chances are that sooner or latter someone will ask the question about whether all notifiable work has been notified, this is obviously something you'll have to answer honestly, or you risk getting dragged through the mud with regards to deceit, etc

Whats likely to happen when the buyers find out is it'll delay things for a bit, chances are some insurance will have to be taken out to cover any problems it may cause, teh buyers may also get cold feet but the PIR should help to keep them warm!

If you want to get this sorted out now, and it is probably the best way, then you'll need to put in a regulasation notice, which is about 10% expensive than the regular one would have cost, and then the building inspector needs to be satisfied that the technical requirements are met, hopefully he should be happy with a PIR (that is, I'm informed the recommended course of action in cases like these)

what happens next, will the periodic inspection certificate satisfy any buyers solicitors or will i need more paper work, can i register the inspection with LABC to obtaian more credibality or is there something to do with retrospective planning consent, i have no idea!!!!!!
all i want to do is sell my house with no hitches so i just want to get all the paperwork in order before i get it on the market.
thanks for any help you can give me!
ade

A PIR is usually adequate, but you can also apply for retrospective permission. You pay a 'regularisation' charge, they come out and test, and sign off it all is ok. If you do it this way, you don't need to pay for an electrician to do a PIR. The BCO do it all.

Sponsored Links
will the council send someone out to re-check the wiring or will they accept the pir as proof that everything is ok?

Thats upto them, I'd expect a decent one to come and have a quick look at the overall workmanship and take away a photocopy of the PIR you have ready for him.

But ask them :)

well i finally got through to building control at the council, they want a copy of the pir, a completed regularisation form and £226.80 and then they will come out and give me an inspection, i'm still not sure what all this will get me from the council if all checks out???

A compliance with building regulations certificate,

or of course, you could leave it for now, and when the issue comes up during house sale time, explain that you have a satisfactory PIR (you haven't meantioned it saying anything different) and that the LABC will exchange it for a building regs cert for a heap of coins if he wants

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back