Ladder help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have bought this ladder for B&Q to get on the roof of my conservatory and check out a leak.

The instructions say to remove the white bung and then screw in the stabilizer bar. I have tried hammering away at the bung but it just does not come off. How do I get the bloody things off?

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links
All linky's working now! :ROFLMAO:

I expect it's to do with the DIYnot directing stuff to websites for kickbacks getting muddled up.

Does the "bung" suffice as a "foot"?

I use ladders quite often, I find the stabilising bars to be more of a hindrance than a help.

Over the years, my only ladder failure (which was my fault) was ladder sliding out from underneath me.

I have never had a ladder slide sideways.

Those wide bars often result in the ladder to sit at a jaunty angle when working on unlevel surfaces.

Nevertheless, you have paid for a product that is possibly "not fit for purpose". Perhaps contact the vendor.

Yes you'd think the 'bung' is the foot, perhaps the ladder can only be used with that stabilising bar hence it's a bung rather than a foot.

This is what it says in the instruction manual :

Remove and discard white protective bungs to fi t stabiliser bar. DO NOT use ladder with white protective bungs fi tted!

And, here's the pic. No need to follow the link.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    365.4 KB · Views: 34
Let's see if these shortened URLs are immune:

http://tiny.cc/c96jxz
https://tinyurl.com/yjwx9sya

This seems to be the manufacturer:

agree with Freddy; show us a pic of the bungs because the promo shots don't appear to detail them

Last edited:
Ahhh... I suspect that the bung exists to protect the slot in the ladder during transit. It would cost more to ship the ladder with the stabilising bar fitted.

I do have a multi-function ladder that extends up to 3.7m. Rather than bungs, it has retractable bungs that slide back to allow the stabiliser bar to be fitted. I have never used the bar. That said, I normally use it upside down so that the rubber feet are in contact with the ground.

Perhaps that black square hole you see on the bottom rail has a plastic finger catch you can press down to unlock the bung and slide it out..

..or perhaps drilling a hole clean through the larger black bit, then inserting a screwdriver in the hole and hitting it with a hammer (in the direction you want the bung to slide) would bring success if no other technique works

Post some better close up shots from various angles

Perhaps that black square hole you see on the bottom rail has a plastic finger catch you can press down to unlock the bung and slide it out..

..or perhaps drilling a hole clean through the larger black bit, then inserting a screwdriver in the hole and hitting it with a hammer (in the direction you want the bung to slide) would bring success if no other technique works

Post some better close up shots from various angles

It seems the blackness is just empty space. Not sure why it came up as black. Here are some more close up pics.

IMG-20240311-232023478.jpg

IMG-20240311-232043857.jpg

IMG-20240311-232032376.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back