Ladder help

Sponsored Links
You see those two dents in the aluminium? A machine in the factory has pressed those in to the extent that it has created metal "fingers" that hold the white plastic bung in via a ridge in the plastic. The other (yellow and black) feet are retained in the same way, I.e. it's a bit more of a permanent attachment

Before I recommend breaking, bending or drilling anything, please show a picture of the stabiliser foot with a good close up of where it attaches, from several angles, in order that an assessment as to how it is to be fixed can be made...

ps; your phone seems to do a good job of focusing on the wrong thing; the relevant parts of the picture are always blurry and something else further away is in focus. For subsequent pictures please hold the phone a little further away and (probably) tap on the part of the screen you want it to focus on

It would be better to get a clear photo for further away and zoom it after, than hold the phone so close it can't focus and blurs out the helpful detail

You see those two dents in the aluminium? A machine in the factory has pressed those in to the extent that it has created metal "fingers" that hold the white plastic bung in via a ridge in the plastic. The other (yellow and black) feet are retained in the same way, I.e. it's a bit more of a permanent attachment

Before I recommend breaking, bending or drilling anything, please show a picture of the stabiliser foot with a good close up of where it attaches, from several angles, in order that an assessment as to how it is to be fixed can be made...

ps; your phone seems to do a good job of focusing on the wrong thing; the relevant parts of the picture are always blurry and something else further away is in focus. For subsequent pictures please hold the phone a little further away and (probably) tap on the part of the screen you want it to focus on

It would be better to get a clear photo for further away and zoom it after, than hold the phone so close it can't focus and blurs out the helpful detail

Hi Rob.

Here's the video by the manufacturer showing how to install the stabiliser bar. I can't beleive a bloody ladder is so difficult to use!

Sponsored Links
Hi Rob.

Here's the video by the manufacturer showing how to install the stabiliser bar. I can't beleive a bloody ladder is so difficult to use!

Indeed, it looks like a slight manufacturing oversight; the pressed metal fingers do too good of a job of retaining the plastic bungs

Several options though given that it looks like they aren't part of the subsequent retaining mechanism for the stay-bar

Probably the simplest and least alarming for you would be to get a wood saw out and cut the bung down the channel along these two lines:
1710391705573.png

The middle bit of big will drop out and the sides can be pried, twisted, levered, broken or even just cut off at the curved end and left in place

Or, you can use a drill in the indentation clear away the aluminium and form a hole that removes the retaining finger

Or you can look to bend the aluminium up a bit moving the metal finger away from the bung

changes to the metal of the ladder in this location will have no effect on its overall structural integrity because the point where the weight of the ladder and user bears onto the stay bar is above these points

Harsh, but fair (y)

It's not as simple as you think. The manufacturer needs to be shot to make this so complicated!

Indeed, it looks like a slight manufacturing oversight; the pressed metal fingers do too good of a job of retaining the plastic bungs

Several options though given that it looks like they aren't part of the subsequent retaining mechanism for the stay-bar

Probably the simplest and least alarming for you would be to get a wood saw out and cut the bung down the channel along these two lines:
View attachment 336571
The middle bit of big will drop out and the sides can be pried, twisted, levered, broken or even just cut off at the curved end and left in place

Or, you can use a drill in the indentation clear away the aluminium and form a hole that removes the retaining finger

Or you can look to bend the aluminium up a bit moving the metal finger away from the bung

changes to the metal of the ladder in this location will have no effect on its overall structural integrity because the point where the weight of the ladder and user bears onto the stay bar is above these points

I decided to get my soldering iron and burn through the plastic like a hot knife through butter. I then hammered away at the plastic until it came off. Thank you for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back