Lady that loves Pipes:-) What's this? Anyone out their know?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First, thank you so much everyone who helped me understand about my three port valve; I'm going to have to get a pro in to have a look at it because I now think that my hot water not coming on could be one of two or three things - how about you? It might be the pump (but then the rads wouldn't get hot, or, the cylinder thermostat as if this is broken or perhaps needs cleaning it might not signal to heat the water tank?

Please too can anyone help with what this is!!! (picture below) Hugh said he though it might be an automatic vent or a bleed?

If it is a auto vent do I need to open it periodically or anything, like when I bleed the rads? I'm enjoying finding out about these things. Thank you all:)

Sponsored Links
It is a manual air vent and operated with a screwdriver. Crack it a 1/4 turn when the system is off to vent air from that section of the system.

First, thank you so much everyone who helped me understand about my three port valve; I'm going to have to get a pro in to have a look at it because I now think that my hot water not coming on could be one of two or three things - how about you? It might be the pump (but then the rads wouldn't get hot, or, the cylinder thermostat as if this is broken or perhaps needs cleaning it might not signal to heat the water tank?

Please too can anyone help with what this is!!! (picture below) Hugh said he though it might be an automatic vent or a bleed?

If it is a auto vent do I need to open it periodically or anything, like when I bleed the rads? I'm enjoying finding out about these things. Thank you all:)

SORRY FOLKS I DO HAVE AN ANSWER TO THE ABOVE WITH THE PICTURE AND THE BEST ADVICE IS TO LEAVE IT ALONE........ I DEFINATELY WILL DO THAT ......... THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP .... SO LOVELY :p ALL THAT IS LEFT TO SAY IS COULD IT BE THE THERMOSTAT ON THE CYLINDER :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you are so real why not post a picture of yourself beside the plumbing?

It is not recommended to start new threads all on the same general mater where previous postings are still relevant.

Tony

If you are so real why not post a picture of yourself beside the plumbing?

It is not recommended to start new threads all on the same general mater where previous postings are still relevant.

Tony

Okay, sorry Tony, I really didn't know that. That said I will stay here know and try to finish my other 'thread'. A picture might not be very pretty i'm afraid. May do though. I tried to turn the air vent a 1/4 inch but it is very stiff. Do you think I should put a little easy oil on it and try some grips instead? Thank you and thank you for putting me straight on this thread business and I really didn't know :oops:

It is a manual air vent and operated with a screwdriver. Crack it a 1/4 turn when the system is off to vent air from that section of the system.

This could well be the problems. Thank you Tony for the excellent advice. I have tried but it is very stiff and taking the others suggestions to leave alone well, I would do that but it needs attention anyway so I thought that I might spray it with some easing oil and then have another go. I am always very careful when doing pipework so I wont go at it like a bull. If goes wrong then I get Mr Plumber:) Thanks for telling me about this. Would love your advice again :p

It does not matter how pretty you are or not. Its just "you".

If I were bother about my looks then I would not dare walk down the street!

Would you like to see a picture of me?

Tony

It does not matter how pretty you are or not. Its just "you".

If I were bother about my looks then I would not dare walk down the street!

Would you like to see a picture of me?

Tony

Go on then :D

OH NOOOOOOO This turning into a you show me yours and I'll show you mine :mrgreen:

Hang on. I am serious about my hot water problem :eek: That said I will show mine when i'v got the time to take a snapshot and, when I've tidied up my pipes, of course :D Thanks again everyone for being so very kind :p

If the cylinder is heating up with the valve in the manual position then air is not an issue, so leave that 'ice cream shaped' valve well alone. (Unless you want a leak!) Problem will lie with valve not opening to hot water position when required, which would indicate an electrical issue or faulty valve.

If the cylinder is heating up with the valve in the manual position then air is not an issue, so leave that 'ice cream shaped' valve well alone. (Unless you want a leak!) Problem will lie with valve not opening to hot water position when required, which would indicate an electrical issue or faulty valve.

Hello Hugh. I'm sure you are right and I will ask plumber but first, is it possible that my plumber will charge less if I purchase the identical, 22 mm Honeywell valve and then drain my system down. Before I drain the system down though is there something I need to do with the boiler Worcester Bosch 18ri condensing, before I turn it and the electrics off completely? Luckily I have a wood burner to give me some hot water and keep me cosy and warm. Thank you lovely Hugh. Ellen:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back