Laminate flooring and carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Forgive my ignorance in asking this question!

We have a room which is L shaped and has overall dimesions of 28' x 24'. My wife would like a laminate floor which I am happy to have a go at fitting. At the moment there is a fitted carpet on the floor. It is very thin, approx 6/8 mm thick and there is no 'give' in the pile. It is laid on a concrete floor.

My question is: can I lay a laminate floor on top of the carpet? I have searched the net and I am finding conflicting answers! Most people say it isn't a good idea but there are a few who say that it is OK do lay on carpet so long as it doesn't have any give.

What do you guys think?

If it is OK to lay on the carpet, should I still use a damp proof membrane as well?

thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome chausseraie :D:D:D:D

ok the practicalities

concrete floors can contain moisture
if the dpm [damp proof membrane] in the concrete is intact the moisture will be very low and the concrete can breath through the carpet

if you top this with laminate any moisture will "sweat " on the bottom of the laminate now no probs if its only a very small amount

if it gets to be a bit to much[dont ask me how much perhaps a spillage ;) ] the moisture can soak the carpet the laminate and the concrete which may in turn rot the carpet and laminate

now with a propper plastic underlay any moisture is kept away from the laminate any spillage then would just be trapped under the laminate and eventualy dry hopfully without dammaging the laminate :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back