Laminate on tung and groove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi about a year ago I laid good quality laminate throughout my bungalow onto old tung n groove which seemed pretty solid, it’s now starting to creak when walking on, I know now that maybe I should have laid a ply sub floor first? I’m now thinking about taking it up and laying plywood and then relay the laminate, my question is what thickness of ply would I need! Thanks

Sponsored Links
assuming its quality unglued you will probably still need a few new planks have you any spare
5.5/6mm will be fine
is the flooring nice and level and well fixed down ??

Yes the tung n groove is well fixed down But probably not level ie the creaking in the laminate, how would you fix the ply, by screws?

its possibleyou could give yourself problems if you raise the floor with the ply?
like bigall i'd be concerned about the t&g an thatthe joists under the t&g are solid an firm?
you have to go over the t&g boards one at a time an face screw them down if they seem shaky.
does the present laminate have a thick expensive underlay?

yes you screw ply down usin screws just long enough to penetrate the ply an go deep into the t&g boards but dont penetrate out ofthe boards.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back