Laminate under washing machine 'bouncy' causing knocking noise on spin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Washing machine makes loud knocking noise on 1400 spins (transport bolts are out and machine is level)
I have 12mm laminate on 5mm foam underlay in the kitchen to which the washing machine sits.
The rear of the laminate where it reaches the back wall is somewhat 'bouncy' and i believe this is the cause of the knocking on spin. It's solid where the front feet are, just bouncy and uneven by the back legs.

I don't want to take all appliances out, plinths up, and lifting all the flooring just to look at this.
What i was thinking best plan is to draw a line where the front feet of the washing machine are, cut out the laminate flooring from that point, lay 18mm osb, and silicone the gap between the laminate and osb.

Or perhaps just do this for the back feet and leave the front as they are?

Does this sound feasible? if so what is the best way to fix down the osb, and what packers can be used to ensure it's level?
If not feasible any other suggestions?

Machine is under a worktop, probably another 10mm to play with.
I have levelled the machine best i can, but the flooring under the machine is not the same level as outside it, so whilst i have levelled left to right perfect, i can't be sure it is level front to back.

Thanks for any help with this, it's a new machine with a 5 year parts and labour warranty so want to make sure flooring is spot on.

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem and cured it by fitting L brackets in several places on the wall and floor to firm it all up.

I had the same problem and cured it by fitting L brackets in several places on the wall and floor to firm it all up.

Well that sounds like a easy, cheap fix.
And you've had no problems with essentially stopping it from becoming a floating floor?
I admit i though of screwing the laminate down haha

And you've had no problems with essentially stopping it from becoming a floating floor?
No. Works fine. I suppose if you were that worried about expansion, you could finish the floor just under the machine, leave a space and the carry on. I do have vinyl planks with built in underlay though and they are laid on top of 12mm ply. The floor it replaced was was a laminate with the compressed wood underlay boards and I did the same.

Sponsored Links
No. Works fine. I suppose if you were that worried about expansion, you could finish the floor just under the machine, leave a space and the carry on. I do have vinyl planks with built in underlay though and they are laid on top of 12mm ply. The floor it replaced was was a laminate with the compressed wood underlay boards and I did the same.

Thanks Mottie,

The thing i hate most is having to get the machine out and back in again....... will def consider that idea though, maybe get a few ideas together and try them at the same time.

Are you sure that the laminate is the issue? I had a customer that had engineered flooring. Her machine used to bounce. The Siemens engineer recommended an antivibration pad and full width 10mm porcelain tile.

The problem seems to have been the way the joists ran. The washing machine was against a stud wall that wasn't supported from below. In essence it was halfway along a 6m span.

Are you sure that the laminate is the issue? I had a customer that had engineered flooring. Her machine used to bounce. The Siemens engineer recommended an antivibration pad and full width 10mm porcelain tile.

The problem seems to have been the way the joists ran. The washing machine was against a stud wall that wasn't supported from below. In essence it was halfway along a 6m span.

I haven't a clue, no.
I'm not convinced these anti-vibration mats work though, as thought they would cause more movement in the machine compared to being 'stuck' to the floor.... but hey i got to give it a go, thanks.

It's maybe worth knowing that on a recent build the structural engineer specified that we doubled up the joists beneath the washing machine "port" in each apartment specifically to reduce joist bounce.

It's maybe worth knowing that on a recent build the structural engineer specified that we doubled up the joists beneath the washing machine "port" in each apartment specifically to reduce joist bounce.

The laminate is laid on a concrete floor, hence my thinking it's the laminate that's the problem.

Cut out laminate and replace with sheet ply .

That was my thinking, but use 18mm osb..... but if i do that there's no going back, so would like to try other suggestions first. Like the one Mottie suggested in using L-brackets to see if i can firm up the laminate. But open to other suggestions as well.

The laminate is laid on a concrete floor, hence my thinking it's the laminate that's the problem.

I would expect a 30(?)KG washing machine to be heavy enough to squish down the laminate given that they only have 4 feet.

From memory, you said that it is level from left to right. I wonder if there are ridges/debris under the laminate that is causing the problem.

Edit... a ridge/etc might be enough to distort the laminate at the back- resulting in the bounce.

I would expect a 30(?)KG washing machine to be heavy enough to squish down the laminate given that they only have 4 feet.

From memory, you said that it is level from left to right. I wonder if there are ridges/debris under the laminate that is causing the problem.

Edit... a ridge/etc might be enough to distort the laminate at the back- resulting in the bounce.

I have 5mm underlay which i thought would sort any deviations.

I've just observed the machine on a wash, and the laminate plank under the front left foot is flexing a very little bit..... but not on a full spin, it only seems to go when perhaps the wash is uneven on a slow spin. There was no knocking sound on this wash, and it was a long one with 3 x 1400 spins..

Maybe i've been a bit hasty and the machine needed to 'bed-in', if not i think clamping down that plank would help.... it is on the last row against a wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back