Lamps or bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Comes in different wattage's, usually made from glass, that you change when they are worn out.
Are the called BULBS or LAMPS :)

Sponsored Links
I call them bulbs, but so are tulips :LOL:
But you would so say car head LAMP BULB

Light bulbs are bulbs that get planted in light fittings and no they don't need watering :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Historical the lamp fitted onto a spigot either on wall or carriage it was refuelled remote from where used and was placed in position as and when required.

In auto electrical as a result if you ask for a head lamp you will get the assembly likely without the luminaire.

So lamp refers to all but the spigot. The only place the spigot has remained is on push bikes and of course we all realise a cycle lamp refers to whole item.

The word bulb refers to the shape and the bulbous piece of glass originally evacuated over the filament is why it was so called. From this we can see where tube comes from.

Electrically a tube is not a form of rail transport and neither is a bulb something which goes in the ground and to make statements of that nature is of course silly.

How ever with new shapes the term bulb or tube does not really work and so the term luminaire is often used.

In general the whole idea of English is to be understood and there is far less ambiguity in the word bulb and fitting then there is in the word lamp so in the main I try to avoid the word lamp as it is seen as so many different things by different groups of people.

Even where bulb does not really describe the item as with a GU10 luminaire the word bulb leaves far less chance of being miss understood so I would think it is the better word.

The point is to make others understand what you are saying and to include any jargon is counter productive.

Of course there are other words derived from shape like "Globe" and in some parts of the world this is used.

I am an electrician not a gardener and to ever claim I though someone is referring to the garden when talking professionally to me is got to be taking the Mick. And frankly rather childish. We are supposed to take notice of manufactures and they can round luminaire a bulb so we should do the same.

Luminare is the fitting. Lamp is the bit you put in it that lights up.

Bulb is the outler glass bit forming part of a GLS type lamp.

Don't call it that then.

Call it a 60W lamp for example. That doesn't sound wrong.

From Wikipedia (and you can't argue with that :rolleyes: )
A light fixture is an electrical device used to create artificial light or illumination.
A luminaire is a lighting fixture complete with the light source or lamp, the reflector for directing the light, an aperture (with or without a lens), the outer shell or housing for lamp alignment and protection, an electrical ballast, if required, and connection to a power source[1]. A wide variety of special light fixtures are created for use in the automotive industry, aerospace, marine and medicine.

BUT..... The definition of a 'Luminaire' in the IEE Wiring Regulations 'Requirements for Electrical Installations' (British Standards) referenced as BS7671:2008 (17th edition), specifically notes that the Luminaire EXCLUDES the lamp itself.

Now stop it or I'll come over there and lamp you one!

bulbscrewdriverw.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back