large tiles kicking up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have read the tiling sticky and am after some tips from a tiling expert..
I will be wall tiling 300x600 porcelain tiles 9mm thick. they weigh 20kg a square metre. I will be using this as the adhesive
[url]http://www.theunderfloorheat...ble-tile-adhesive-single-bags-grey-6278-p.asp [/url]
, although I also have a bag of bal rapid set flexible that I have set aside for the floor.
I have just finished dot and dab MR plasterboard direct to brick wall.

Unfortunately this proved incredibly difficult! the verticals are all straight/plumb. the horizontal is out up to 7mm depth maybe more going into the corner shower. my plan is to use multifinish and a straight edge to level up this corner before tanking. id say its about 600mm width. could only find tapered edge MR boards unfortunatly which made it more difficult to dot and dab....

q1. Should i bother? will the adhesive i apply thicker in this corner work ok or will it be easier to level it with multiskim ?

q2. including adhesive and grout i will be going over the recommended 20kg sqm on the skimmed part - ok? the rest will just be tanked plasterboard so should be good for weight limits.

q3. how long awaiting multifinish to dry before tanking? its 7mm thick into the corner?

cheers fellas

Sponsored Links
7mm is a bit much for multi finish, in this instance if you have any dry-line board adhesive left over I would render out with that and leave a couple days in dry warmish conditions to dry. Tapered edged boards are no harder to D'n'D then square edge boards, it is possible that your straight edge and level have let you down, the nature of D'n'D walls is to get the walls right to avoid complications such as this.

Sponsored Links
the nature of D'n'D walls is to get the walls right to avoid complications such as this.

you re right about my straight edge and level letting me down..... both too short as well at 1.2m and 1m....

Ive just checked them again using the edge of a spare door frame spanning 2 metres - and the horizontal is fine.... thanks for replies. need to invest in an adjustable level i think!

thanks for replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back