Large Willow tree 8m from House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just bought a 1930's house and there is a very large, 30ft Willow tree just inside his front garden wall which is about 8m from the front of his house.

At the very least it needs some branches taking off as it's obscuring the front of the house and preferably chopping down and removing altogether.

However google warns of potential problems with Heave if it's chopped down causing the ground to swell and possible future structural problems.

A mid way option appears to remove branches gradually over a few years then chop it down.

So I think he needs to get some professional advice how best to proceed.

What profession does he need to call for correct advice as a builder or structural engineer probably won't know.

Would an Arborologist be the right person ?

Sponsored Links
Is it is a clay area such as the London Basin?

To be honest I don't know, early days yet, I doubt he will know as he only got the keys to the house last week. It's in Manchester.

The brickwork is in good condition, no cracks and I can't see any signs of movement in the bricks or any repointing / repairs. But we don't want to do anything by removing the tree that will cause problems if we do it wrong.

He also has 2 large Conifers on the boundary also in the front garden so they need to come out too.

Last edited:
As well as finding out about the tree, you need to find out about the soil.

Clay is especially prone to shrinking and heave with water changes. Other soils much less so.

IIRC there is a British Geological Survey with maps online.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I just spoke to my local Building Control as I have recently finished an extn so they were happy to give advice.

Seems his first call should be to the Tree Preservation officer at his local Council in case there's an order on it, plus that guy will know the type of soil in the area. Apparently Clay is the worst and Sand the best (least worse) for Heave.

Assuming there is no order on the tree, the Officer should be able to suggest a couple of options and point my lad in the right direction to get a professional to quote for any work

Any TPO should have been picked up on the conveyance.

Arborologists are for fancy reports. Get three fella's out, or one surgeon. With a mature willow, the ground probably won't make much difference to how it should be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back