Largest nursing strike in NHS history set to start

Are NHS staff worth less?
The gov is fond of saying negotiations are down to to the people or company that run things but it's increasingly obvious that they interfere.

My personal view on nurses is that they should look at tapered pay rises based on current salaries. There is a huge range up to £100k. This sort of thing comes about due to flat increases all of the time. Not that uncommon actually. LOL I had the rare experience of that being fixed when young. Suddenly my pay doubled, Why - simple they were not getting enough young people like me to seek employment in the area I worked in, :( Still not much though and long term effects of ever increasing introduction of pay scales was reduced salaries compared with how it used to work where some got more than others. That way has it's problems too.

The other state problem in some areas especially in the NHS is that they can not bid for workers. The pay rates are fixed. Maybe the gov should privatise itself as that is how things work there. They think this is a wonderful idea - when it suites them.

Don't forget one other aim is a low wage economy.

Sponsored Links
Wasn't the barristers strike settled at 15% earlier this year?
Are NHS staff worth less?

Yup and Openreach getting something like 17% after their staff held their first strike since 1987.

Most nurses work bloody hard, and you don't hear about the extra bits which have been added on since Covid. For example, District Nurses were asked to perform many of the responsibilities of GPs in 2020 (when they all squirrelled away in their practices) and those are now permanent roles. The work just never stops and yet they continue to bring in agency staff on bloated wages. Pay them properly or lose them.

As it happens, one of my oldest relatives fell and broke two ribs at home on Tuesday. It took 18 hours for an ambulance to reach her and in all that time, she was lay on the downstairs WC floor, cold. She's in now currently waiting for a bed.

I hate to sound so depressing, but we are fast-becoming a failed state. I can't help but think there is an element of design in it though...

Some rail and nurse deals have been settled. I don't have details. Here is one

TBH I don't think this indicates what I suggested and at the bottom end it needs to be higher - if they want more people.

Avg Nurse earns more than the avg junior criminal barrister.

In fact most junior Barristers earn less than Baristas

Sponsored Links
Provide some average figures then.

1671054051090.jpg

Firemen are thinking of striking again, History says this is the only way they get parity.

Mr Bike as you may have noticed I posted nurse pay scales. The problem is at the lower end.

LOL an anonymous source who it seems got 15%.

the NHS's service is at an all time low, it is in a total mess, and they think they deserve a pay rise? May be if they got there act together and started to provide an efficient service then may be, But you can't demand more money when you are providing shoddy service.
Do you honestly believe that those people that are striking are in control of the organisation they are working for?

They turn up for work when rostered, slog their guts out, do extra hours without pay and deserve a whole lot more than they are getting.

If successive Tory Governments hadn't been so ****ing mean over the last decade plus, there would not be such a huge hole in their pay packet.

I hate to sound so depressing, but we are fast-becoming a failed state. I can't help but think there is an element of design in it though...
4 decades of transfer of wealth from Labour to capital.

a weak parliament system that enables the wealthy to influence policy to ensure they keep their wealth.

oh and many years of QE which pumps money into the system pushing up investments

Perhaps fix the problems by taxation and then reduce that when the economy grows. ;) Might even encourage that.

Daft? The total tax take is getting on for £1trillion. How much of an increase would it need.

I started falling out when working tax credits arrived. Immediate thought - great collect tax and the dole it out to allow some to live sensibly. UC without use of freedom of info laws, I doubt if anyone can find a break down of where that goes and to who.

LOL an anonymous source who it seems got 15%.
Read the actual article

This is not especially low, according to the Criminal Bar Association (CBA), which says that crime juniors scrape up annual average earnings of £12,200 in their first three years. Criminal lawyers have long warned that early career incomes are less than minimum wage.

Zayd Ahmed of Church Court Chambers provided similar figures yesterday, saying that he’d earned £17,300 in year one of practice, £16,700 in year two and £20,000 in year three.

The gross earnings figure will be further reduced by professional costs such as chambers rent, insurance and practising certificate.

Sponsored Links
Back