Laser level for DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to mark out footings, and a rectangular two brick high wall, for a greenhouse. The bricks need to be laid accurately. I wondered about using a laser level, and from the looks of things ones on Amazon provide better value than Screwfix et al. I have loads of rechargeable AA batteries.

I assume I could attach one to a tripod, and point it down at the ground? Would the lines be visible outdoors? (I know some are dim, and green are brighter.) Any recommendations up to about £50?

Sponsored Links
i use the green , to use outside , not done a lot - purchased more for indoors use
stanley from screwfix i purchased

i used a large level and made up the wall ends and used a string to get the levels - but that was in the 80's

I assume I could attach one to a tripod, and point it down at the ground?

You do not point them down at the ground, they are a level. Mounted on a tripod, you would measure down from the line.

Would the lines be visible outdoors? (I know some are dim, and green are brighter.) Any recommendations up to about £50?

A red laser could be used after dark, however - for outdoors, any weather, accuracy, robustness, and no batteries needed, consider using a water level.

A bit of pipe, filled with water, with a clear section of pipe at each end, filled with water. Water, always, finds its own level.

You do not point them down at the ground, they are a level. Mounted on a tripod, you would measure down from the line.

A red laser could be used after dark, however - for outdoors, any weather, accuracy, robustness, and no batteries needed, consider using a water level.

A bit of pipe, filled with water, with a clear section of pipe at each end, filled with water. Water, always, finds its own level.
Ah okay, I should have been clearer, I need to mark out two lines at right angles, preferably 10 by 6 feet long.

Sponsored Links
Laser levels also work as straight line checkers, they usually have two settings, one fixed where the laser is a straight line wherever it's pointed and the other where the laser tells you where horizontal or vertical is. I've used mine several times to get things aligned.

Last edited:
I assume I could attach one to a tripod, and point it down at the ground? Would the lines be visible outdoors? (I know some are dim, and green are brighter.) Any recommendations up to about £50?
No that won't work because when you shine the laser cross hairs at the ground you will only be able to see a true 90° crosshairs when the laser is pointing at the ground perfectly perpendicular to the ground. Anything off from that and the angle won't be 90°.

Incidentally though it's not what you need I have the Magnussun one from Screwfix, it's often on offer around half price though outside you absolutely cannot see it on anything other than a quite dull day or dawn/dusk. Even my £400 Disto laser measurer you can't really see that with the naked eye on a bright day.

No that won't work because when you shine the laser cross hairs at the ground you will only be able to see a true 90° crosshairs when the laser is pointing at the ground perfectly perpendicular to the ground. Anything off from that and the angle won't be 90°.

Incidentally though it's not what you need I have the Magnussun one from Screwfix, it's often on offer around half price though outside you absolutely cannot see it on anything other than a quite dull day or dawn/dusk. Even my £400 Disto laser measurer you can't really see that with the naked eye on a bright day.
Damn! I could level it using my ball head tripod but that’s too complex.

There are also laser squares with built in spirit levels, but visibility would be poor to useless.

Ah okay, I should have been clearer, I need to mark out two lines at right angles, preferably 10 by 6 feet long.

You could just use Pythagoras.

Use the 3/4/5 principle. All right angle triangles have sides with a ratio of 3/4/5

Dig in a spike (A) where you want the corner to be. Put in another spike (B) at 8ft along the longer length. Cut two lengths of rope tie them both to a third spike (C).

Tie one end to spike A, ensuring that the total length is 6ft long. Tie the other end to spike B, ensuring that the total length is 10ft.

Move spike C until there is no slack in either length of rope.

You will now have a right angle (assuming that your rope is not stretchy).

Once you have finished marking out, measure the diagonals- they should be the same length.

Then you need a large square not a laser.
8x4 sheet of timber would do it .

Or the 3, 4, 5 rule. If you make a triangle, with the three sides measuring 3, 4, 5 then you have a perfect right angle. It matters not at all whether you use 3, 4, 5 feet, or 300, 400, 500mm - you will have a perfectly 90 deg. square corner.

The cheaper lasers, even green are difficult to see outside unless you're on the night shift. You would normally need a pulse laser and a separate detector.

Traditional line and square is normally best.

For 3,4,5, a piece of timber with the units marked on it is easiest as there is no flex or stretch. It matters not what units you choose, but avoid bananas.

Thanks all. To mark out the footing I will use a line and square, plus a straight 2.4 m long piece of timber. The brickwork has to be more precise, so I’ll do it in stages, I’m in no hurry.

I advocate using a water level. Cheap and more accurate than a laser level. Even takes into account the curvature of the earth which is important over large distances. A two mile bridge would be 26 inches out with a laser but not with water. Ok it depends how accurately you can read the water level but if done carefully it has its merits. Oh and you do not need line of sight, you could mark off items in several rooms on one floor that would be imossible with a laser.

I advocate using a water level. Cheap and more accurate than a laser level. Even takes into account the curvature of the earth which is important over large distances. A two mile bridge would be 26 inches out with a laser but not with water. Ok it depends how accurately you can read the water level but if done carefully it has its merits. Oh and you do not need line of sight, you could mark off items in several rooms on one floor that would be imossible with a laser.

Always spot on, they never need their calibration checked, or adjusted. The only things are, to avoid bubbles in the pipe, and using one usually needs two people cooperating. Better yet, you can easily make one with a bit of pipe, providing the ends of the pipe are clear, so you can see the level of the water.

However one person can use it, you do not need two people, use a resavoir such as a bucket .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back