Latest and best trends for skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got to do the entire house (4 bed + loft), what's in and what's out?

No budget in mind.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just finishing a mill conversion, all modern apartments - the door casings do not have any architraves at all, instead they arevthicker than normal (for stiffness) have a 10mm shadow gap around the outside (double skin PB with shadow gap beads) and square edge skirtings. Last couple of new build jobs I've done work on (mainly setting up the sales suites) the apartments have had square edge skirtings and architraves, too.

Sponsored Links
What period is your house?
I found http://www.metresdirect.co.uk had a good range of skirtings and provided a depth and height of skirting that was a lot more in keeping with our Victorian house.
They were also a really good company to deal with when I needed extra lengths.

Skirting is soooooo last century
Yes, indeed. Why would anyone ever need to protect the plasterwork at the bottom of the wall from getting damaged? Seems like a pretty pointless thing to install - unless you are a chippy and you've got a vested interest in installing skirting boards. :sneaky:

Yes, indeed. Why would anyone ever need to protect the plasterwork at the bottom of the wall from getting damaged? Seems like a pretty pointless thing to install - unless you are a chippy and you've got a vested interest in installing skirting boards. :sneaky:
Plaster work? That's soooooo last millennia.

You know, I'm beginning to wonder when you'll say that walls are soooo last eon

I've always wondered how different the perception of modernism would have been if Corbusier, Mies and Wright had the technology we have today to make their buildings work...and if their ideals hadn't been cheapened by the ubiquitous 60's concrete estates and tower blocks!

I've always wondered how different the perception of modernism would have been if Corbusier, Mies and Wright had the technology we have today to make their buildings work...and if their ideals hadn't been cheapened by the ubiquitous 60's concrete estates and tower blocks!
Nothing wrong with concrete estates (well apart from some quality issues). The aspiration and ideal was sound, but it was the occupants who messed things up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back