LATHE AND PLASTER CEILING: SIMPLE ONE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a very simple one but would love an expert answer as they are doing work on it the next door office right now.
Question is this: do lathe and plaster ceilings contain asbestos?

Sponsored Links
No. They also don't contain an 'e'. Lath and plaster. Also known as laughing plaster.

Sponsored Links
Really appreciate, the building is covered in dust and bits of plaster. Builders said: 'Lath and plaster is shot to pieces'. Was concerned. Is this just the same for all ceilings?

Just to check: nobody has ever heard of lathe and plaster ceilings with asbestos?
Paul

Never ever heard of it.

I spent half of last week removing a lath and plaster ceiling and it is horrible dusty work and not uncommon for them to need significant repair/replacement after time.

I was sent up the loft space of a very old building to knock a lath & plaster ceiling down along with a couple of centuries or so of dust and debris from the roof void.

WOW, i have never before or since seen dust like it. It was a warm sunny day and the room below had big old windows and no light was getting into that room at all.

I looked like a coal miner on over-time.

Never did me no arm.

But you wouldn't know straight away would you NoseAll, how long ago was it?

The builders next door seem to have put a new board ceiling over the crumbling ceiling. Does that sound sensible?

Anybody think the new board ceiling over the 'lath and plaster ceiling shot to pieces' sounds a good idea?

Bit unsure...

Was reading also, elsewhere on web that there is asbestos in some plaster... but you guys are very grounded in your advice, is this because they mean plaster in other areas of a building?

If it's a lath-and-plaster ceiling, the building will probably be at least pre-War.
This system involved nailing very thin strips of timber to the underside of the ceiling, and then applying two (sometimes 3) coats of lime plaster.

Asbestos in any form would not come into the equation. The site you posted will encourage people to panic and pick up the phone; it's just scaremongering.

It doesn't say that. It says; 'AIB was used in the same locations/applications as wood, plasterboard, plywood, hardboard, softboard, chipboard, stirling board, lathe and plaster, mica board, ceiling tiles and many others.' Which really says asbestos insulation board was used in the same locations as lath and plaster ceilings. What's that? at the same time? It's confusing nonsense designed to make you connect lath and plaster (and various other innocuous materials) with asbestos. Presumably you have some wood in your ceilings at home? Or maybe chipboard floors? Did you realise asbestos insulation boards was used in the same locations as wood - and chipboard. You'd better get Kent Surveys in to check your wood and chipboard out, just in case. I don't imagine the survey will cost you much money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back