Law on ownership - Slabs going to tip

Once your rubbish is in bin lorry it belongs to the council if they use contractors.

Does that not make the slabs the ownership of the gardener and thus I was ok to take them with out the aggression of the home owner?

Sponsored Links
Does that not make the slabs the ownership of the gardener and thus I was ok to take them with out the aggression of the home owner?

Imo yes,

It's the same as when the skip lorry collects the skip it's then the skip company property.

However you have to live next to the miserable twerp so to ensure he doesn't become the neighbours from hell just give them back.

They belong to the owner. At no time do they become the property of the gardener, he's only been tasked to dispose of them. That doesn't make them his property.

They belong to the owner. At no time do they become the property of the gardener, he's only been tasked to dispose of them. That doesn't make them his property.

And he has disposed of them to the neighbours

Sponsored Links

Well then I'll put something in the bin then ask for it back. See how that goes.

They are not the belongings of the gardener. He wasn't gifted them. They remain at all times the property of the owner.

They are not the belongings of the gardener. He wasn't gifted them. They remain at all times the property of the owner.

Unless the homeowners specified exactly how they had to be disposed of, then the gardener can dispose of how he sees fit.

Unless the homeowners specified exactly how they had to be disposed of, then the gardener can dispose of how he sees fit.

If I didn't ask the gardener they wouldn't be much use as paving slabs unless I wanted crazy paving.

On a different thought If this slab bounced of his van in transit to the tip and fell on someone causing them injury. The van driver can't turn around and say it's not my property. I know their is other things at work with that scenerio.

This all seems to be the case when you give a kid a toy to play with and they are not I interested and then when another kid starts playing with it they suddenly become interested in it again.

Last edited:
The van driver can't turn around and say it's not my property.
Nor can he say "no I don't need a waste licence as it is not waste, it is the property of Mr Grumpy".

The neighbour is being an utter bell-end, and Im sure that any legal attempts to enforce his "property rights" would fail.

But as above, it isnt worth the risk of creating a conflict over some used paving slabs.

Just nobody tell my council about the ones their contractors gave me some years ago when they renewed the pavement - I wouldnt want to move those b****rs again - they are seriously heavy.

Before returning them, check with the twerp neighbour and let him know that his gardener is going to have to pay to dispose of them and that will cost the twerp and that you were helping save him money.
He may change his mind then.

Although, chances are the gardener may not have been taking them to the tip, they may have gone down a lane and never returned.

Pile them up nicely and then with a sledgehammer hit the pile.
The cracks all along to the bottom slab give satisfaction.

Before returning them, check with the twerp neighbour and let him know that his gardener is going to have to pay to dispose of them and that will cost the twerp and that you were helping save him money.
He may change his mind then.

Although, chances are the gardener may not have been taking them to the tip, they may have gone down a lane and never returned.

I think he is someone who works on principles being the most important thing.

Anyway if they got fly tipped down a lane, it's ok because they are still the property of the home owner, from what I gather people are saying.
Nor can he say "no I don't need a waste licence as it is not waste, it is the property of Mr Grumpy".

The neighbour is being an utter bell-end, and Im sure that any legal attempts to enforce his "property rights" would fail.

But as above, it isnt worth the risk of creating a conflict over some used paving slabs.

Just nobody tell my council about the ones their contractors gave me some years ago when they renewed the pavement - I wouldn't want to move those b****rs again - they are seriously heavy.

Well it seems that I have already caused conflict, as he came across aggressive and angry at me for moving the slabs that he would otherwise been smashed up.

I think I will just put them back, as I don't wish to create more conflict or have him opportunity to spring a bill on me as he tried to sell me them.

I think I will just put them back, as I don't wish to create more conflict or have him opportunity to spring a bill on me as he tried to sell me them.

Just return them, ideally to the gardener, to the same spot you collected them from if possible, apologise for causing him trouble and thank him for his help. Also explain to the gardener why you are returning them making him fully aware that the neighbour wished to be paid for them. And leave it at that.

Hopefully the gardener will give the neighbour a detailed bill including the disposal costs for the materials recovered from site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back